Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
I've been out of the iPhone loop for awhile and I'm getting back into it (Saturday ;-)) Anyways, I've seen pictures of iPhones's with non-Apple apps on the front and I've read things like "jailbreak", "SSH", "chmod +x", etc. Can anyone point me to some good articles explaining this? I've read hacktheiphone.com and modmyiphone.com and still need some additional instruction to fully understanding it.

Thanks

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I've been out of the iPhone loop for awhile and I'm getting back into it (Saturday ;-)) Anyways, I've seen pictures of iPhones's with non-Apple apps on the front and I've read things like "jailbreak", "SSH", "chmod +x", etc. Can anyone point me to some good articles explaining this? I've read hacktheiphone.com and modmyiphone.com and still need some additional instruction to fully understanding it.

Thanks

google.com

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
jailbreak was the first program to unlock the iPhone's filesystem.

If you need explanation on what "chmod +x" or "ssh" is ... then you should probably wait a while until an easy to use GUI program comes out.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
jailbreak was the first program to unlock the iPhone's filesystem.

If you need explanation on what "chmod +x" or "ssh" is ... then you should probably wait a while until an easy to use GUI program comes out.

+1

Or promise not to post a thread titled "I bricked my iphone while trying to mod it because I didn't know what I was doing, how do I fix it?"

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
+1

Or promise not to post a thread titled "I bricked my iphone while trying to mod it because I didn't know what I was doing, how do I fix it?"

Well, I wouldn't if I had some extra guidence (aka literature to read.)

EDIT: Really all I think I want to know how to do is change the icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.