Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
on 7 Dec 2010, there were 100,335,115,947 total fah points.

today there are 355,754,516,518 total points.

i don't think there are a ton of more users. i think there more power users, and of course newer point systems. what are your thoughts? is easier points good for folding? or does it take something away?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
on 7 Dec 2010, there were 100,335,115,947 total fah points.

today there are 355,754,516,518 total points.

i don't think there are a ton of more users. i think there more power users, and of course newer point systems. what are your thoughts? is easier points good for folding? or does it take something away?

I think you are right about there not being many more people folding, maybe even less, I don't know. There have almost always been power folders, going for the points, so I wonder if the changes in the points system have been one of the biggest factors as well as the change in hardware. What would the performance factor change be year by year taking into account the fluctuation in the number of machines?

It would be interesting to see a "snapshot" of hardware/ppd that all folders had at a given time each year since the beginning. Or even do a bell curve of a certain "popular" folding machine as it comes to market becomes popular and then fades as people upgrade. I don't know maybe that wouldn't make sense.

----------

They have a hard job keeping people interested and giving big points to "big" hardware helps I think.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
It's like inflation in real life. With the increased GPU folding getting points is much easier.
My own example: 10m Points in three month is what others don't fold in years. Of course looks nice for my statistics, but ...

Some blended KPI with number of finished WU, Points/WU and years involved might be better to really measure contribution.

But again to get new joiner the huge points you get from a simple GPU helps ...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I think you are right about there not being many more people folding, maybe even less, I don't know. There have almost always been power folders, going for the points, so I wonder if the changes in the points system have been one of the biggest factors as well as the change in hardware. What would the performance factor change be year by year taking into account the fluctuation in the number of machines?

It would be interesting to see a "snapshot" of hardware/ppd that all folders had at a given time each year since the beginning. Or even do a bell curve of a certain "popular" folding machine as it comes to market becomes popular and then fades as people upgrade. I don't know maybe that wouldn't make sense.

----------

They have a hard job keeping people interested and giving big points to "big" hardware helps I think.

yeah, giving the big points to those with the big machines does help keep people interested.

yeah back in 2010 i remember overclocking my 920's to 4 ghz to do the bigadv units, and i thought 50k ppd for one machine was awesome! 3 years later i don't even fold with it. i have a 48-core machine that cost just a little more that gets anywhere from 150k - 300k ppd. crazy

It's like inflation in real life. With the increased GPU folding getting points is much easier.
My own example: 10m Points in three month is what others don't fold in years. Of course looks nice for my statistics, but ...

Some blended KPI with number of finished WU, Points/WU and years involved might be better to really measure contribution.

yeah, but the increase in the gpu points has only been in the last few months. but already a lot of folders are moving to gpus. and now amd/ati is back in the game. no ps3 anymore. i wonder about the ps4 or xbox one?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

That would probably give you a better idea of total contribution.

on the down side Mac's have never been very much "in the game" my dads iMac was so slow it would take almost a week to do one WU. and that was only a year after it was new! so not much incentive there.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah, giving the big points to those with the big machines does help keep people interested.

yeah back in 2010 i remember overclocking my 920's to 4 ghz to do the bigadv units, and i thought 50k ppd for one machine was awesome! 3 years later i don't even fold with it. i have a 48-core machine that cost just a little more that gets anywhere from 150k - 300k ppd. crazy

yeah, but the increase in the gpu points has only been in the last few months. but already a lot of folders are moving to gpus. and now amd/ati is back in the game. no ps3 anymore. i wonder about the ps4 or xbox one?

I wonder what the integrated GPU's will do? or even if they will work at all. ps4/xbox whatever, never gonna happen! not enough will get sold to make it worth while.

Yeah I remember getting, what, 16,000 ppd? on the 260 and I thought that was pretty good. And the electric bill!! it was like 3-400 bucks a month to get like maybe 1M points, or maybe not even that much. Whole lot more PUNCH for the watt now.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
on the down side Mac's have never been very much "in the game" my dads iMac was so slow it would take almost a week to do one WU. and that was only a year after it was new! so not much incentive there.

well the current iMacs would be probably do what, around 20k ppd? (cpu only). and you could run windows and use the gpu as well, for a total of about 35k ppd? maybe more?

I wonder what the integrated GPU's will do? or even if they will work at all. ps4/xbox whatever, never gonna happen! not enough will get sold to make it worth while.

Yeah I remember getting, what, 16,000 ppd? on the 260 and I thought that was pretty good. And the electric bill!! it was like 3-400 bucks a month to get like maybe 1M points, or maybe not even that much. Whole lot more PUNCH for the watt now.

well the ps3 was a big hit, so why not the ps4? it should be more powerful (much more). same for xbox one.

yeah that's about right. i was proud of my 260s, all 6 of them. now the power bill is still 3-400 bucks, but instead of 3 million points per month, i'm getting over 12 million. and that 3 million was only when i had all systems go

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well the current iMacs would be probably do what, around 20k ppd? (cpu only). and you could run windows and use the gpu as well, for a total of about 35k ppd? maybe more?

well the ps3 was a big hit, so why not the ps4? it should be more powerful (much more). same for xbox one.

yeah that's about right. i was proud of my 260s, all 6 of them. now the power bill is still 3-400 bucks, but instead of 3 million points per month, i'm getting over 12 million. and that 3 million was only when i had all systems go

by the time I thought about getting a ps3 they were only getting 400 ppd and were not worth the power. then I heard about 4p :D

----------

well, PG does say that points are based on the science that gets done so it does speak to the fact that they're getting way, way more done now than in the early stages. not to diminish what everyone did then -- we wouldn't be where we are now if not for them...

----------

that was pretty good for the time!

earlier this year I remember the 560 ti getting 20 K ppd and the 660 ti getting 24 K ppd; then Core 17 came out all optimized for Kepler and the 560 got 25 K and the 660 shot up to 65 K ppd...

I read the forum over at [H] (and I do contribute one GPU to their team) and it is amazing how quickly those guys will redeploy resources in response to point changes by PG.

within days of, say Core 17 being released you saw a whole bunch of high end cards being purchased and put into service and a lot of Fermi cards coming on the used market.

----------

yeah, we're having to go the PC and linux route to get the max bang for kilowatt, aren't we?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
by the time I thought about getting a ps3 they were only getting 400 ppd and were not worth the power. then I heard about 4p :D

----------

well, PG does say that points are based on the science that gets done so it does speak to the fact that they're getting way, way more done now than in the early stages. not to diminish what everyone did then -- we wouldn't be where we are now if not for them...

----------

that was pretty good for the time!

earlier this year I remember the 560 ti getting 20 K ppd and the 660 ti getting 24 K ppd; then Core 17 came out all optimized for Kepler and the 560 got 25 K and the 660 shot up to 65 K ppd...

I read the forum over at [H] (and I do contribute one GPU to their team) and it is amazing how quickly those guys will redeploy resources in response to point changes by PG.

within days of, say Core 17 being released you saw a whole bunch of high end cards being purchased and put into service and a lot of Fermi cards coming on the used market.

yeah the ps3 never got over 1200 ppd, but so many people had them. i bet the ps4 would be able to get at least 40k ppd if not more.

yeah i'm on the [H] forum some also. i don't contribute though, even though sometimes i feel i should

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah i'm on the [H] forum some also. i don't contribute though, even though sometimes i feel i should

they're really involved folks, and are very helpful even to those on their arch-rival team, EVGA.

don't feel guilty -- I'll pop them some points on behalf of our team :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
they're really involved folks, and are very helpful even to those on their arch-rival team, EVGA.

Grandpa or musky should do some vacation in our team ... Amazing what they produce on a constant level :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

thanks!

Grandpa or musky should do some vacation in our team ... Amazing what they produce on a constant level :eek:

yeah that would be something. just one of them produces more than our entire team

yeah, 2 weeks with one of them on our team....

i don't wanna get my hopes up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.