Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
I'm not sure how fitting this is here, but I thought it might make some people feel a little happier, just like it did for me...

Just on Friday, I went to the HERA particle accelerator in Hamburg, Germany (I'm a summer student working for DESY, if anyone feels like looking the place up) and they took us down into the accelerator ring...passing through the main control centre on the way..

...and what made me smile was seeing more old macs than ever before, all being used as the backbone of controlling every aspect of the collider - absolutely amazing! :D (To put it in perspective for non-physicsy people, they're helping to control two extremely high energy beams of protons/electrons, travelling around in a massive circle, and arranging it so that these two beams collide at highly precise points about the ring...and making sure that nothing goes horribly wrong)..

Admittedly I didn't see any *new* macs there (which was a little sad :( ) but as far as i can remember, there were lots of apple IIci, IIe, a few that looked oldish but whose names i couldn't see...and a strange monitor that was portrait instead of landscape (really i'm a newb here, my first macs my powerbook g4 ;) ).. but 3/5 of the computers controlling the ring were macs, still being used (and being used whilst i was there too)...

Just thought I'd share, it was a little surprising for me to see them all there :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Eomando said:
I'm not sure how fitting this is here, but I thought it might make some people feel a little happier, just like it did for me...

Just on Friday, I went to the HERA particle accelerator in Hamburg, Germany (I'm a summer student working for DESY, if anyone feels like looking the place up) and they took us down into the accelerator ring...passing through the main control centre on the way..

...and what made me smile was seeing more old macs than ever before, all being used as the backbone of controlling every aspect of the collider - absolutely amazing! :D (To put it in perspective for non-physicsy people, they're helping to control two extremely high energy beams of protons/electrons, travelling around in a massive circle, and arranging it so that these two beams collide at highly precise points about the ring...and making sure that nothing goes horribly wrong)..

Admittedly I didn't see any *new* macs there (which was a little sad :( ) but as far as i can remember, there were lots of apple IIci, IIe, a few that looked oldish but whose names i couldn't see...and a strange monitor that was portrait instead of landscape (really i'm a newb here, my first macs my powerbook g4 ;) ).. but 3/5 of the computers controlling the ring were macs, still being used (and being used whilst i was there too)...

Just thought I'd share, it was a little surprising for me to see them all there :)

Sounds pretty cool, I guess unfortunatly you don't have any pics ? Or do you ?

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
Not of my own, i'm afraid :(

Still, a few other people had their camera's with them, and i'm the only one with enough free hard disk space on their computers to store them, so i'll get to see if there are any there - if there are, i'll certainly post them.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
:/ they work fine for me.. i click, then there's the picture :confused: Perhaps the server just had a blip?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
They work fine for me too... Wow, I see some Mac II's, a IIci, and several apple monitors. In the first picture there's a guy using a USB (iMac) keyboard, maybe he's got a blue & white below the desk. Cool pictures!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.