Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjaminww

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Apple got something really right with the iPhone 12 mini. Playing around with my Black mini for the last 24hrs has been a nostalgic experience, sending me 7 years back to the good ol' iPhone 5 days. At the same time, it makes a strong, completely unexpected argument for what the future of iPhone may hold. What follows is a love letter to the iPhone 12 mini…

Let's get one thing straight: I think the iPhone 5 is one of the best iPhone designs. I also think the iPhone X is the most revolutionary (and important) implementation of iPhone. The iPhone 12 mini is what you get if the iPhone 5 and iPhone X had a baby. It's simply the best of both worlds. Experiencing this phone is like playing the remastered version of your favorite video game.

Each time I hold my 12 mini I'm amazed by how beautiful and capable such a small device can be. (Emphasis here on beautiful.) Apple's brilliant marketing may lead you to think aluminum feels less premium than stainless steel, but both materials feel extremely high quality in hand. I think that's what the iPhone always had going for it: when you pick it up, it feels beautiful and makes you feel good—almost like a piece of jewelry.

The 12 mini makes me question why we’ve invested in larger phones. I've realized that although we use our phones for a lot more today than we did 7 years ago, there are some things that haven't changed at all: us! As silly as this sounds, the size of our hands, pockets, tables/desks, and what "heavy" or "light" feels like to us hasn't changed much. There's something special about your life's most essential device "disappearing" when you put it in your pocket and being pleasantly surprised by its unassuming presence once you use it again.

It seems the future of mobile phones lies in figuring out how to deliver a significantly larger screen in a smaller form factor (e.g. foldable phones). Playing around with my 12 mini has made me realize that not only do I not need the extra screen real estate, but I'm not sure if I really want it. The small size forces the phone to occupy a certain lane in my life: casual, efficient interactions like messaging and web surfing. For any heavier work, I’ll whip out my 16" MBP instead—it’s the sensible option. To me, this separation gives iPhone a more clear identity as being an everyday companion tool, but not your only tool. It's there to support you throughout your day, but it is not the panacea for all your productivity needs. If I can't hop onto my workstation for a task, it’s a reminder that I should go about my day and focus on work at a later time.

I hope everyone can experience the 12 mini. It feels like a nod to the past but a potentially serious course correction for the future. We turn to our phones for so much today, but I think the mini is "less is more" personified. Changing how I interact with iPhone more than any of its predecessors, I think the 12 mini is Apple's most important phone.

Sincerely,
A happy 12 mini user

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I feel the same way, except I went for the 12 this year, after having the Max-sizes phones, X, XS, 11 Pro Max for years. I am issued an XR for work and have enjoyed that screen/phone size for the past year or so.

6.1” screen is a sweet spot for me and the weight difference of the 12 vs a Pro Max is refreshing. I don’t even notice it in my pocket!!

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I’ve been very impressed with the Mini too. Plenty of screen for what I do, small and light enough to handle with ease compared to my 11 Pro, which feels heavy and unwieldy already,

My only disappointment is battery life, but I’ve been using it nonstop since picking it up Friday afternoon.

Glad I canceled my order for the full-size 12 a few weeks ago. Waiting also meant the leather cases are available which, as always, are excellent.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'm a 7 Plus user so naturally went to 12 Pro Max and while the screen is amazing the device is heavy and a chore to use one handed. If sat and using like a mini tablet it's great, but when moving around and using in one hand it's so top heavy and hard on the fingers.

So I ordered a 12 but equally find the tall and narrow display still requires some hand acrobatics but with none of the benefits of the larger PM.

Considering a 12 Mini now combined with an ipad for when I need it. If I have to have a smaller phone I may as well get the most comfortable and use it for light tasks. Too much choice has me torn.

Last edited:

benjaminww

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I'm a 7 Plus user so naturally went to 12 Pro Max and while the screen is amazing the device is heavy and a chore to use one handed. If sat and using like a mini tablet it's great, but when moving around and using in one hand it's so top heavy and hard on the fingers.

So I ordered a 12 but equally find the tall and narrow display still requires some hand acrobatics but with none of the benefits of the larger PM.

Considering a 12 Mini now combined with an ipad for when I need it. If I have to have a smaller phone I may as well get the most comfortable and use it for light tasks. Too much choice has me torn.
It’s awesome you’re figuring out the perfect setup for yourself. For me, having a large phone and an iPad would give me decision paralysis each time I decide to use one over the other.

I love your mini + iPad setup idea. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

donnie.

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Apple got something really right with the iPhone 12 mini. Playing around with my Black mini for the last 24hrs has been a nostalgic experience, sending me 7 years back to the good ol' iPhone 5 days. At the same time, it makes a strong, completely unexpected argument for what the future of iPhone may hold. What follows is a love letter to the iPhone 12 mini…

Let's get one thing straight: I think the iPhone 5 is one of the best iPhone designs. I also think the iPhone X is the most revolutionary (and important) implementation of iPhone. The iPhone 12 mini is what you get if the iPhone 5 and iPhone X had a baby. It's simply the best of both worlds. Experiencing this phone is like playing the remastered version of your favorite video game.

Each time I hold my 12 mini I'm amazed by how beautiful and capable such a small device can be. (Emphasis here on beautiful.) Apple's brilliant marketing may lead you to think aluminum feels less premium than stainless steel, but both materials feel extremely high quality in hand. I think that's what the iPhone always had going for it: when you pick it up, it feels beautiful and makes you feel good—almost like a piece of jewelry.

The 12 mini makes me question why we’ve invested in larger phones. I've realized that although we use our phones for a lot more today than we did 7 years ago, there are some things that haven't changed at all: us! As silly as this sounds, the size of our hands, pockets, tables/desks, and what "heavy" or "light" feels like to us hasn't changed much. There's something special about your life's most essential device "disappearing" when you put it in your pocket and being pleasantly surprised by its unassuming presence once you use it again.

It seems the future of mobile phones lies in figuring out how to deliver a significantly larger screen in a smaller form factor (e.g. foldable phones). Playing around with my 12 mini has made me realize that not only do I not need the extra screen real estate, but I'm not sure if I really want it. The small size forces the phone to occupy a certain lane in my life: casual, efficient interactions like messaging and web surfing. For any heavier work, I’ll whip out my 16" MBP instead—it’s the sensible option. To me, this separation gives iPhone a more clear identity as being an everyday companion tool, but not your only tool. It's there to support you throughout your day, but it is not the panacea for all your productivity needs. If I can't hop onto my workstation for a task, it’s a reminder that I should go about my day and focus on work at a later time.

I hope everyone can experience the 12 mini. It feels like a nod to the past but a potentially serious course correction for the future. We turn to our phones for so much today, but I think the mini is "less is more" personified. Changing how I interact with iPhone more than any of its predecessors, I think the 12 mini is Apple's most important phone.

Sincerely,
A happy 12 mini user
Great post, benjaminww! Your thoughtful comments make a lot of sense—especially the part of about this being a good blend of the 5 and X. I've getting a mini for Christmas, and now I'm doubly anxious to get my hands on it! :)

Reactions: Geert76 and 5105973

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
@benjaminww - Very astute observation and incredible post. This echo's my sentiments exactly - except I've NEVER gone to large size phones. Not iPhone or otherwise. Been using phones since the Ericsson T18z, T28W, and T36m which evolved to a few smartphones of horrendous or interesting experiences to those needed for work and I just got used to them (supporting them as well).

I love the edges and grips of the iPhone 4S (even purchased a used one in 2020 just for nostalgia and collectible), and the iPhone 5S and SE of 2016. I tried the X when it debuted and of the 14 day full refund policy, day 13 it was back. The design was too slippery to hold naked, too bulky with any case available at the time and FaceID was too slow and awkward.

The 12 mini ... since it was announced I know THAT was going to be my next iPhone. Downgraded from the 8, got the SE 2016 model, got a 2018 iPad Pro 11" as my main computing device, waited until February and BAM!

Anyone still on the fence of battery life - don't worry its over played and you can solve this with a MagSafe compatible portable charger.

Reactions: taneff and Geert76

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I cant believe i missed your thread @benjaminww, its so well written and exactly how i feel about the 12 mini. I gave your opening post a big ❤️.

Reactions: Geert76

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Exactly my thoughts, thank you! Very nicely written. :)

I said it in other threads. If people would actually give the Mini a real chance they would love it. But that is difficult atm. No one can try it even out in store. Most people don't just order to try a phone and maybe sent it back. Plus Apple poorly marketed it. Even in the presentation it got a tiny "mini" spot, not really presenting it like something special, which it is. Just yeah we have a Mini, that was it. I can't remember Apple marketing something as poor as they did with the Mini. As if they wanted it to fail!

The only reason imo to get a big device is when you don't own anything else like an iPad or notebook, but then I would go for the Max. But to each his own. Everyone is different. But I sooooo totally agree with you.

Reactions: snipr125

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Good phone for those that make mostly calls, like FID and need a Ok camera #grandparents.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Seeing something so tangible & materialistic leave you with such intangible happiness & joy is incredibly heartwarming & contagious ❤️

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Your ideas on how devices should have their own focused, compartmentalized purposes is something I really resonate & agree with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.