Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
MacRAND Snowy_River may know if you do not said:
IBM is currently advertising a clock rate range of 1.4 to 2.0 GHz. Of course there most likely is a lot of upside potential with clock rate.
Everybody keeps talking about 64-bit capability of the 970FX G5, yet it is my understanding that Apple has yet to tap into 64-bit capability for anything. Right? If wrong, then what?
Do not underestimate the utility of having a 64 bit processor! Apple has "tapped" into some features of the processor but at the moment really hasn't delivered a 64 bit OS, nor a huge number of 64 bit applications. Full ultilization is a bit off. The really good thing at the moment is more addressable memory on desktops and possibly laptops before the end of the year. As it is now 32 bit applications get the entire 32 bit address range to use, for some applitcations that is a win right now.
My preference is that Apple do the PowerBook RIGHT for G5, or wait until it can, Steve Jobs' prediction or promised release date be damned. No do overs, no false starts. Macs need to work perfectly, right out of the box, the very first time. No trial runs.
While I would hope that that is very much the attitude the reality is that, Apple has NOT been doing real well of late with respect to hardware introductions. Does any body know what happened to the G5 XServes for example?

To be honest I'm not to sure that Apple has any intentions at all of introducing a 970 based laptop. They could very well be looking at different technology.
Anybody want to be an early adopter of an experimental prototype for $3,000 plus?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
64-bit

MacRAND said:
Everybody keeps talking about 64-bit capability of the 970FX G5, yet it is my understanding that Apple has yet to tap into 64-bit capability for anything. Right? If wrong, then what?
For one, the Photoshop G5 plug-in uses the 64-bit instructions available on the 970. OS X also has math libraries that exploit the 970 64-bit instructions.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PowerPC contracts!!

Rocketman said:
If true this is the final nail in the Motorola coffin. The main benefit of the G4 (and the IBM G3) is power efficiency and low temperature in tight spaces.

Rocketman

Rocketman you may just be right. This got me thinking though....remember the wars of whom could produce the G4 (motorola -small case because their lack of efforts don't deserve my respect & haven't raised any elation from me recently). IBM was blocked by the Apple/IBM/motorola consortium contractual agreements. Now since IBM is only providing the G5 - and has a committment as mentioned in the IBM vs. Intel thread here, what options does Apple have if IBM cannot deliver performance in their chips around 5 yrs from now, especially if motorola is non-existent (for desktop/mobile cpu chips) then?? What if a new company wants to produce "G-era" chips for Apple at that time will the current consortium agreement block such a new alliance??

Hey don't shoot me I have TOTAL faith in IBM & Apple - this is their mutual second time around kicking the wintel competition.

can't wait till August/September after owning a Dual 1.8/2.0Ghz G5 I'll also be in the market for a 12" PowerBook G4 rev.2 (DVI). Yeah moto's in their but the product suits my needs for some 2 years into the future.....let's all hope that the sales for the next year from moto's cellular phones (V300/400/500/525/600/80, Mpx100/200/MPX, A920/925, etc) will be enough to fund a new mobile cpu line.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
SMP Laptop.

IBM makes some very low power PowerPC chips for PDAs, like the 405EP
(a board with one on is here, sorry I don't know much about them...
http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/cerfcube405EP/
but it runs linux)

maybe you could put 16 or 32 of these in a laptop and not use much more power than the current pb17's etc.. Again the bus issues would be the biggest problem, as these particular chips are obviously not designed for SMP. maybe you could give them some individual ram each say 32 or 64meg, and not have a global memory pool. That would probably have bad performance tho?

IBM should design a SMP laptop chip with lots of slow low power cores on it.

OR maybe apple could put dual or quad g3's at say 500-800MHz into a laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.