Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Hi all,

My trusty machine is the following spec:

MacBook Pro 13 inch Late model 2013
2.6 Intel I5
8 GB Memory
Intel Iris Graphics Card 1536 MB (thus running 13-inch (2560 x 1600) natively)
512 GB SSD

I am now finally contemplating a display/monitor to be able to 'dock' my Macbook when at home, and use a big screen with the comfort of a desk.

A lot of reviews point me to the LG UltraFine 4K display (21.5inch at 4096x2304)

My concerns are:

(as I have no intention of buying a newer Macbook, this still ticks all my boxes 4yrs on!)
  1. Will my machine even be able to run that 4096x2304 resolution? Will everything be too small? Will the Macbook scale intelligently?

2. Will my machine (Thunderbolt 2) be able to physically to the display which has USB-C? System requirements dictate "USB-C–enabled Mac" which makes me doubt it. How are older Macbook users supposed to connect to newer screens then...?

3. Other concerns, such as 30hz vs 60hz. Not entirely sure what implcations this may have, can anyone help break it down please?
As you have probably concluded, I'm not up to speed with the latest technology and so your assistance would be very welcomed!

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
  1. Will my machine even be able to run that 4096x2304 resolution? Will everything be too small? Will the Macbook scale intelligently?

2. Will my machine (Thunderbolt 2) be able to physically to the display which has USB-C? System requirements dictate "USB-C–enabled Mac" which makes me doubt it. How are older Macbook users supposed to connect to newer screens then...?

3. Other concerns, such as 30hz vs 60hz. Not entirely sure what implcations this may have, can anyone help break it down please?
This link here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206587

states the following:

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates via the built-in HDMI port of your Mac:
  • 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
  • 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

So I guess I can connect to a 4K screen but only at either 24hz or 30hz. What are the drawbacks of this?

And can I still connect to the LG UltraFine?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Hi all,

[*]Will everything be too small?
Yes, it will

I run a 32" 4k monitor at 3840x2160, and still find some elements too small. For many programs, you can adjust the size, but for some, not. I would not ever consider running a 21" monitor at a true 4k resolution. You could go blind.

Reactions: cman-uk

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Yes, it will

I run a 32" 4k monitor at 3840x2160, and still find some elements too small. For many programs, you can adjust the size, but for some, not. I would not ever consider running a 21" monitor at a true 4k resolution. You could go blind.
Thanks for your insight. I guess I have little appreciation for just how small everything will be...

I wonder what others with a late-2013 rMBP are running?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.