Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
For the first time in years, Microsoft seems vulnerable.

The technology recession, strategic miscalculations and general wariness following the Justice Department's four-year antitrust case have resulted in a psychological shift against Microsoft throughout the industry. Rivals and customers are sensing opportunities to challenge the software empire after decades of presumed invincibility.

Free registration required.

You should read the PDF, it's kinda interesting, but you'll have to register cuz it's too big to post here.:(

I think that people are starting to come out of their hole and actually take a stand against them.
Activation on XP was the beginning of consumer disgruntlement (aside from the many BSODs), regardless of how little if any personal info was transmitted.
Then came SP1 which was supposed to fix bugs and security leaks, but it has screwed up a number of computers and more leaks and bugs are showing up every week, 58 security leaks in this year alone.
But I think the thing to really jumpstart opposition to MS (in businesses at least)will be Licsence 6, which many businesses are not happy with cuz it locks you with MS products for about 3 years, regardless of any updates within that period.
A lot of corporations are seriously considering switching over to Linux because of it.
I think MS really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

click

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Microsoft is too big, owns too much, to be brought down by other companies. They could exist in any market for a considerable amount of time, taking loss on every sale and still, physically TAKE market share, and not even bat an eye. They did it with MSN and they'll continue to do it in other markets... the only company that will stop them is our Government, just like they did Bell Systems.. although I'm not sure the comparison is justified.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Our time has come. We have lain down and taken s*** from Microsoft for too many years. Even Apple has chosen to begin attacking Microsoft. Apple has opened the door for us and I say we follow through. The majority of the M$ user base is demoralized and prime for converting to the Mac and Linux.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Yet another reason..............

Great, maybe they're going to be charging you for security in the future, thank the gods that this is only hypothetical.:rolleyes:

They already charge you $199 for the full version of XP Home which is nowhere near as stable and bugless (somewhat) than $299 XP Pro, now they're talking about charging you more for security feartues that should already be f*cking there?

MS should be scared when you can buy a whole computer for the price of a half-assed OS (although it may be less secure if the don't fix that root problem soon)

They may be huge and may have loads of ca$h, but the consumer has the power here, if they don't buy MS products then their huge hordes of ca$h will begin to thin out until they don't have much left and have nothing else to do except admit defeat.
I think it's about time that the consumer stepped up to the plate and took a stand.
They can only put up with bullsh*t for so long before they finally break.
This means war.:mad:

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
(As I write this in Word for the spelling feature) Microsoft is not too big to go down in a pile of ash.
Everyday I hear of people considering a switch or just have switched and are finding it to be a breath of fresh air. Die-hard Linux Peeps are finding OSX a viable option… It’s all starting to come together. But let us not be foolish in wishing for something to come true and find we got it.
I love Apples like Eve but I am afraid that Apple will become the behemoth (Mickey mouSe) that most despise, it’s like when your favorite band gets too popular and you cant listen to them anymore. Apple needs to strike a balance and when I visit their site (as I did today (Jimmy)) I find that they can strike that balance.
All I’m trying to say is that (raises hand and takes drag) We love Apple to the core because they are the preverbal David in the valley of giants. Let’s hope Apple doesn’t become a giant and forget the little people.

Peep the game

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by electric

All I’m trying to say is that (raises hand and takes drag) We love Apple to the core because they are the preverbal David in the valley of giants. Let’s hope Apple doesn’t become a giant and forget the little people.

Peep the game

Apple has been the little man for way, way too long to ever forget it. IF they do get so gigantic, they'll know what got them there: Good products, good marketing (well, okay marketing), and IBM. :)

As for peeping my game, I donno what that is, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.