Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
It looks like the dev team is up to something. I have been following them over at IRC and it looks like Mobile Safari on both the touch and the iPhone are suffering from a one year old TIFF exploit.

Basically, opening a carefully crafted TIFF image will crashes mobile safari, causing a buffer overflow and allow for arbitrary code execution. This same exploit was used more than 1.5 years ago to crack the PSP firmware.

Retired
May 16, 2006
It sure would be simpler if Apple just made a proper SDK, instead of this "Cat and mouse" nonsense...its gotta end sometime...

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Sure, post the exploit so Apple knows had to disable it in 1.1.2. :p

All the work of the dev team is in the wiki anyway. 1.1.1 is the latest current firmware and this is what the dev team is working on. When 1.1.2 is out then we can talk about it :p

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
i sort of agree with that...if they dev team finds out how to hack the iphone, DONT TELL ANYONE!! That way apple has no idea what they did so they wont specifically know what to fix

:rolleyes:

The dev team posts their findings on the wiki and anyone can log onto their IRC channel and see what is going on there.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
:rolleyes:

The dev team posts their findings on the wiki and anyone can log onto their IRC channel and see what is going on there.

well maybe they shouldnt do that....maybe they could keep it a secret, cuz im sure every little step they make and post online, Apple sees and immediately finds a way to patch it in their next update, and Apple is probably waiting for 1.1.1 hack to be released and then they will put out 1.1.2, or better yet they will put out 1.1.2 a day or tw before so everyone wont see a reason not to upgrade and then they will release a 1.1.1 hack

...just a thought

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
i sort of agree with that...if they dev team finds out how to hack the iphone, DONT TELL ANYONE!! That way apple has no idea what they did so they wont specifically know what to fix

And... then nobody has any apps unless they lurk on IRC all day.... which I stopped doing in the late 90s after the console emulation scene died. But I have recently been really tempted to go back. Apple hangs out on IRC anyway, spoofing their IP and domain :)

I for one would love to see a 1.1.1 hack plastered all over the place, i like the keybord mods and the ability to turn off edge roaming, not that I ever roam.

Y'kno Apple could just start releasing updates every week just to piss people off and make it less likely to downgrade. DOH! I just gave them an idea :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.