Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omerpa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I would like to create an application that presents an UIAlertView to the user (similar to how the arriving SMS or calendar notifications look like). So the rest of the icons are shown and only the middle portion of the screen is covered (if you ever got an SMS or a calender event - you will not what I mean)

Does anyone know if this is possible? What even I try to do, the screen is always covered by the application window, even if I resize the window - it still keeps a black background

Thank in advance.....

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I would like to create an application that presents an UIAlertView to the user (similar to how the arriving SMS or calendar notifications look like). So the rest of the icons are shown and only the middle portion of the screen is covered (if you ever got an SMS or a calender event - you will not what I mean)

Does anyone know if this is possible? What even I try to do, the screen is always covered by the application window, even if I resize the window - it still keeps a black background

Thank in advance.....

Your app gets the entire window on launch. You could always provide your own background full-screen view and put your alert on top of it.

omerpa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thank you very much for your reply.

So how does iPhone/Apple do it? I mean the SMS app does just that???

Also have u a clue how can I take a screen shot of the iphone desktop?

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
It uses Apple's private SDK which allows it to run in the background constantly, so when you receive an SMS it'll just display an alert over the top of any currently running app.

Vertical

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Kentucky
Screenshot

To take a screenshot, click the top button on the phone and the home button at the same time ONCE quickly. If it worked, you should see a flash of white on your screen, and your screenshot will be in your camera pictures folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.