Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I wonder if anyone has any tips on replacing an old mac mini with a PC. I think I'll be replacing it in a year or so. Reliability is the number one priority. It won't need to do anything fancy (just like the mac mini), so a SATA SSD (stock or upgrade) would be perfectly acceptable.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
HP Elitedesk 800 mini . Put in a 960 EVO NVME in addition to the stock HDD and push the memory up to 16Gig. and you're set.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I wonder if anyone has any tips on replacing an old mac mini with a PC. I think I'll be replacing it in a year or so. Reliability is the number one priority. It won't need to do anything fancy (just like the mac mini), so a SATA SSD (stock or upgrade) would be perfectly acceptable.
In a year or so there WILL be a new Mac Mini, make no mistake ;)

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
In a year or so there WILL be a new Mac Mini, make no mistake ;)
There MIGHT be. However, it will most likely be severely underspecced and overpriced. It's relative value to price ratio won't be the same as in 2009.

[edited to get rid of an accidental emoticon]

Reactions: Queen6

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
There MIGHT be. However, it will most likely be severely underspecced and overpriced. It's relative value to price ratio won't be the same as in 2009.

[edited to get rid of an accidental emoticon]

same thought here. Waited for too long for a mac mini refresh. I bought a used Gigabyte Brix 4770R and I'm totally happy with it. Great computer if you need the small form factor.

Queen6

macrumors G4
By no means an expert or well versed in mini Pc's, however a friend recently showed me his Intel NUC Skull Canyon, very impressed by the form factor and especially the performance. If was in the market for a mini PC this would be my choice, just a quick look of the spec is impressive alone, in the flesh better.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.