Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
asphalt-proof said:
As a member with less than 110 posts (OMG! almost 120!!!) :D I think its a fine idea to provide a forum for fluff used to inflate post counts.

man. i read this thinking that he was saying it would be a good idea to have a forum with the intent to hold all the fluff that would otherwise go to inflating post counts, and that he was proud to have 110 real posts (though i would have to look at all this posts to decide if that was really the case or not).

everyone else seems to think he was misunderstanding the idea of this proposed new forum and was happy at the prospect of basically free increase in post count.

am i having a bad reading day, or is this one of the "glass is half full" kinds of things?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mudbug said:
of course you realize that if we were to make such a forum, and god forbid the 'drunk thread' get moved to it, half the members of the forums would immediately lose their avatars, and folks like wdlove would be considered a n00b once again. :D
I'm not suggesting everything get's moved there. I'm suggesting we start from now onwards...:)
Mr. Anderson said:
I think you're mixing up the concept of the community forum with the threads that actually get wastelanded and closed.
No I'm not. Maybe Im just not communicating the idea properly.
You can discuss plenty of topics in the community forum: things that get wastelanded are threads the end up in trouble, free iPods, explicit discussion unsuitable for minors (there are plenty here), personal attacks, spamming in general.
I'm talking about threads that you as a mod might see as a post boosting exercise, but that those having the conversation just see as a "fun" chat. Having a home where posts will not contribute to post count, so members have nothing to gain by posting (if that's all they're after), and so you don't have to wasteland it when we'd like to carry on. "I've reached 500 posts" is actually a perfect example of what this could be used for. People are really pleased when they finally get to this point, and often want to shout about it, and why shouldn't they? We're all here because we like it here, and reaching 500 and getting your 'tar is somewhat of an MR milestone. But, these threads are always trashed, when they really are doing no harm what so ever. This is a perfect example of a thread that could be moved to these new forums rather than trashed, so that we can talk about possible avatars and stuff, general chit-chat that anywhere else you might consider as post count boosters (for whatever reason :confused:).
What kind of threads do you want to post in a free for all forum that you can't post in the community?

D
Again, the idea is not for it to be a free for all...at least so far as the common rules go, no abuse, adult material etc, etc..

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
No, I think he's just saying open up the Geek, Drunk and other closed threads, and start similar new ones in a Free-For-All forum.
I am not saying open up old threads that are already long gone. Just so we're clear :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
an "I've got 500 posts" thread that discusses what to do for an avatar won't get wastelanded. There are a couple of those already.

My point is that given more leeway with the topics or lack of topics in a Free-For-All forum will just create a ton more work for us. We already get more than a handful of reported posts a day as it is....

My point is that there is very little you can't talk about on the forums as it stands that would require a new forum.

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ok, looks like I'm fighting a loosing battle here...:( I can still see a place for it, but nevermind...maybe one day :)

Oh, and if the mods are too busy, then get more! You are a man down (haven't seen eye in ages), and there are a lot of responsible members here who could surely fit the bill.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Its a good idea but maybe there can be a compromise of some kind to please everyone.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacNut said:
I agree Yellow change it back, that aint right.

Another vote - I came to this thread specifically to bitch about the avatar when I saw it in another posting (tantamount to blasphemy, I tell you).

AndiePandie

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
If it's any consolation I understand what you are trying to say. There is another information forum I visit (this one is not Mac related but about boxers and also uses vBulletin) which has a "Chit Chat" forum which is like the Community forum here. All posts made in that forum and all replies do not count towards total post number. This prevents people from just going into the Chit Chat forum and posting a lot just to bump up their number. There are threads though that do still get trashed and closed if they are against the rules or get out of hand. However all posts in other forums count towards post total. Does that make sense?

So what if the Community forum here was made into a forum where posts do not count but threads can still be closed by Mods? This way there is a place where random silly posts can thrive but the really bad ones or ones that break the rules are able to be closed.

I'm still new so I probably have no right to make suggestions like that but I thought I would put it out anyway.
:)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Wow. Didn't take long for the DTs to set in.

Well that was fun. I'll try to polish it up a bit more. I didn't have time for the snaggle teeth.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Mudbug said:
of course you realize that if we were to make such a forum, and god forbid the 'drunk thread' get moved to it, half the members of the forums would immediately lose their avatars, and folks like wdlove would be considered a n00b once again. :D

:) That actually makes me think this might not be such a bad idea. Rather than creating a new sub forum that would be community forum uselessness squared, why not just turn off post counts in the community forum the same way we did in the politicals? rather than creating more work for ourselves this might actually cut it down. I wouldn't look forward to a dozen reported posts a day arguing which threads are classified 'useless,' but if all community posts didn't apply to post counts then perhaps it would allow members to 'have fun' with threads and not cause spam problems. I doubt this would be a popular option, but perhaps it would be the best compromise.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
When I think about it, a forum like this would not be such a bad idea. Because right now I have this question...Why are there so many shades of green? Now, personally I can't answer this question, so I come to the forums. But WAIT, everything is about Macs, and my question is about a color. Now, I really don't see where I could post this question and it be A-OKAY...So what do I do?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AmbitiousLemon said:
:) That actually makes me think this might not be such a bad idea. Rather than creating a new sub forum that would be community forum uselessness squared, why not just turn off post counts in the community forum the same way we did in the politicals? rather than creating more work for ourselves this might actually cut it down. I wouldn't look forward to a dozen reported posts a day arguing which threads are classified 'useless,' but if all community posts didn't apply to post counts then perhaps it would allow members to 'have fun' with threads and not cause spam problems. I doubt this would be a popular option, but perhaps it would be the best compromise.
Uh oh, what have I started!? :eek: I'll get abuse everywhere I go on MR if this was to go through. Most here have probably only earnt their avatars because of posts in the Community :eek:.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
As Mr. A says, there's plenty of scope in Community for odd threads, the PPP thread got wastelanded, but got reprieved and is still there, threads that get OT or out of hand should be wastelanded, it's a reminder to post well, not often.

If there were a "no-count" forum for rank stupidity it'd become a battleground pretty quickly, and the mods would have to step in too often. The site has a reputation for quality that it should defend, the mods do that well enough already, and have enough to do without us adding more grief to the workload

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
edesignuk said:
Uh oh, what have I started!? :eek: I'll get abuse everywhere I go on MR if this was to go through. Most here have probably only earnt their avatars because of posts in the Community :eek:.

we will be sure to call it the edesignuk proposal when we announce it site wide. ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AmbitiousLemon said:
we will be sure to call it the edesignuk proposal when we announce it site wide. ;)
I'll just leave quietly now then...:eek:

AL, I haven't seen you in ages, have you just popped back? Or are you know more or a lurker? :eek: :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
I guess you would say I've been lurking. Probably 99% of my posts lately have been in the moderators forum or responding to reported posts. the other 1% is answering questions in the various help sections.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I like the idea, but we have too many here that seem to "self-appointed guardians" of what is right or wrong with a thread.

Some members seem to have no self control.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How about just a sub forum of the community where people can bs and talk about all the stupid stuff they want with no post counts, that way the community we all know and love can stay the same unharmed.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
MacNut said:
How about just a sub forum of the community where people can bs and talk about all the stupid stuff they want with no post counts, that way the community we all know and love can stay the same unharmed.

Good idea, seeing as that is really what this whole thread is about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.