Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jo Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent portable monitor to use with the above macbook. I bought one, thinking it would be fine (AOCl1659FWUX) and it doesn't seem to like my laptop, despite downloading a graphics thing...

Anyway, keen to buy one that will work. Any thoughts? Thanks

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
They make great USB C monitors. Does your Macbook support USB C?

If not, I used an Asus USB 3.0 1920x1080 monitor for many years and loved it 2013-2018. It relied on DisplayLink and macOS support for DisplayLink went down the drain in recent years (so you might have limited luck with USB 3.0 monitors).

tldr: good to know if your MacBook supports USB C for good recommendations - is it from or newer than 2016?

Jo Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Honestly, I have no idea how to check it it supports USB C
my macbook is early 2015

Jo Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
THank you, Taz! So, basically no USB C which is why it doesn't work?

Jo Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
How does that work then? Goes into the computer using USB3 and into the monitor using USBC? WOuld that do the trick?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
How does that work then? Goes into the computer using USB3 and into the monitor using USBC? WOuld that do the trick?

It appears that a USB 3 to USB C cable won't work.

Jo Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Hi all,

I'm back to thinking about buying a monitor for my Macbook Pro, early 2015 which has Thunderbolt 2, USB 3 and HDMI ports.

Can anyone recommend a budget monitor? It's not for graphics, mainly to read text. But I'm overwhelmed at the choice and have no idea what to buy. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.