Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GPap

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a way to just click my Home button but I'd like just to check lock screen, not to enter.
It would be nice. I know I can click the other button on the side but it is not comfortable for my setup.
I made some settings related to Home button in my iPhone but no success yet.
If I click that Home button it enters immediately to my start screen..
It is a big detail but it matters for me and I wanted to ask that question around a year now.
I'd like with one click to see my lock screen and after that if I choose to, with second click to enter.
Happy 4th of July to US people.

Thanks, Giannis.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a way to just click my Home button but I'd like just to check lock screen, not to enter.
It would be nice. I know I can click the other button on the side but it is not comfortable for my setup.
It is a big detail but it matters for me and I wanted to ask that question around a year now.
I'd like with one click to see my lock screen and after that if I choose to, with second click to enter.

Thanks, Giannis.
So you have Touch ID enabled? Do you also have Settings > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open enabled?

GPap

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Thanks, Touch ID is enabled (I need it).
I don't have the phone in English but you probably mean the last option in Home button choices,
which I have it disabled.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Could you not just press with a finger that you have not yet scanned? That would throw you back to the lock screen immediately.

Reactions: akash.nu and GPap

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, Touch ID is enabled (I need it).
I don't have the phone in English but you probably mean the last option in Home button choices,
which I have it disabled.
So with all that if you just press/tap the home button once (without leaving your finger on the button) instead of just lighting up and showing your lock screen the phone actually immediately unlocks and takes you to your home screen?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is rather strange. With those settings it has been working basically the opposite way for me for a long time. Have you tried playing around with that last home button setting, like enabling/disabling it to see if it makes a difference (maybe along with restarting the phone to see if that might do something)?

GPap

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2014
No success, one workaround is to click the button very very fast (under some milliseconds), but it is difficult, I can't win all the time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No success, one workaround is to click the button very very fast (under some milliseconds), but it is difficult, I can't win all the time.
Definitely quite odd that you are not able to get it to work like that given that that's now I've been using a few different iPhones for some time. Not quite sure what could be there to account for the difference.
[automerge]1593893217[/automerge]
Thinking about it some more, do you have the raise to wake option enabled? In case that might have some effect on it all.

Also, in case they might be of some help, there are a few other past discussions about this sort of thing:

Last edited:

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Just push the button with one of the 9 fingers not enrolled in Touch ID....

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hello everybody,

Thanks, Giannis.
Simply enable raise to wake. The screen will turn on by simply raising the phone so you can check your lock screen without touching the Touch ID.

Reactions: now i see it

GPap

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2014
I have disabled "raise to wake up" which gives me some more milliseconds to touch the button, as I notice.
But I have to be fast anyway. Other solutions above, such as enable raise to wake up / unenrolled finger, are good ideas but don't fit to what I'm looking for.
(It looks like my Touch ID is extra sensitive for some reason)
Thank you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.