Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_unreal

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
Is there any app or function in Logic Pro that can suggest me chores?
I mean, I want to make a song in C. I would like to see the notes of a triad in C Locrian. Like having a pop up. And then another chord and have the software telling me what are the best option of chords. And so on. Something to help me to compose without me having to learn or have the modes and scales memorized.

Does such thing exist? I think I have seen it ages ago.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
I've never actually remembered to use it because I never use my phone but there is a thing called Suggester .
See description for what it is.

Edit: Apparently there's a desktop version as well.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Just to nerd out and test my past theory training, a triad in C locrian would be a half-dim triad as C, Eb and Gb, since you're basically in the key of Db playing in the 7th mode. However, if you're in the key of C, the 7th mode would be B, D, F, another half-dim. chord.

This sound right my fellow theory geeks?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Normally when one composes modal music, the idea of “‘chords” isn’t really at play. The modes predate modern harmony, so almost all modal music is polyphony - independent lines, sometimes with imitation of each other, and with points of dissonance and consonance. Trying to apply chords from modern harmonic music to something in the Locrian mode might lead to a lot of frustration. Also, the Locrian mode is the least-used mode due to its diminshed 5th in its tonic triad...

For examples of this type of polyphony, composers from the 15th and 16th centuries are the best resource. Earliest would be Josquin des Prez, and the later ones Palestrina and Byrd.

I believe Jazz musicians play/experiment with these modes too, but I am not a jazz expert so I can’t expound on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.