Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
Hey guys

So a bit of a fun thread to round out the week. We were clearing out storage, and in one of our iPhone 3GS original boxes I saw the top lifted off. I opened the box to find the display clear off the phone and a smell of battery acid in the bigger storage container, which itself has been away from light and in a cool dry environment.

So I decided to take it apart, document it, and share it mostly for a little bit of fun.

TL;DR the phone is very dead.

Enjoy!
---

Here's the offending phone.
Note that the screen is almost off by the depth of the iPhone 3GS itself :D

---

Time for some iFixit action!

---

Uh-oh...
Ok so the battery pushed everything so much that the screen has all separated. The adhesive age combined with slowly being stretched and exposed to air means the whole display unit is broken (though maybe still functional?)

---

You can see the flex of the logic board.
Each time I took a screw out I heard a loud 'pop' and the battery expand further by pushing out more as the pressure from being held back lessens.

---

The culprit. Wow it's about to pop...
I'm a little scared it might break as I removed it, but it stayed together. A couple glamour shots for you all to admire!

---

Here's the bend of the logic board:

---

Naked iPhone 3GS:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This battery was pulled from my 2007 MacBook Pro. Had been sitting outside of the Mac for a few months when I found it like this:
2007-MBP-Bulging-Battery.jpg

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Ha! Interesting post. RIP old 3GS *pours one out*

This inspired me to dig out my oldest phones and see if this had happened - somehow both my 10-year old 2G and 8 year old 3GS still have normal sized batteries.

8dd00d2a90bed3b0efef8327e845a130.jpg

b4d9ea1e66aa0870576fec463b2bbbb1.jpg

I do have an super old MacBook Pro 1,1 (Core Duo, not even Core 2 Duo) that I retired awhile back but kept, and its battery swelled up badly maybe a year ago though.

Any science people on here care to chime in as to why this sometimes happens?

Reactions: MagicWok

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
god-damn the 3G/3GS was ugly (I had a 3G myself in white).

Man, I didn't think so! Frankly if they blew that design up to current-gen sized phones with the specs to match I'd think about picking one up.

To each their own though, I know the iPhone 4 is the most universally lauded design on this board and the 3g/3gs is the most universally hated design on this board, and I feel the exact opposite. Lol.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
damn, i'm scared even just looking at the pictures of that battery!

still have a 2G somewhere.. maybe i should check it out ;)

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
I'm not doctor, but I have seen an episode of Grey's Anatomy against my will.

That battery is dead...and probably the phone too. R.I.P., you reliable stallion you.

In other news, I'm surprised that the battery just nuked itself...guess it happens. I had one of the old 3GS's in white and it was a great phone at the time - but then the 4 came out and quite frankly, the 2G, 3G, and 3GS all became kind of ugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.