Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
My harddrive crashed and I lost all my files which was a pain in the butt since I use this computer for school, but most of it was backed up so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I went to the genius at the apple store and they requested a new one which I got the week after. Turns out, this one isn't so good either. The harddrive is constantly spinning, I don't know if it was like this before since I haven't noticed it, and if you put your hand on the palmrest you feel it shaking all the time. Plus it clicks nonstop.

This might be a problem in terms of battery life, since im guessing the rated batterylife doesnt measure 5 hours of constant harddrive spinning.

Another thing I hate about this computer is the screen, I find it absolutely horrible. I can tolerate the viewing angles, but the whole screen has uneven backlighting. The bottom portion has these random blotches that are darker than the rest of the screen. It looks similar to light clouds. Plus I can clearly see the backlight if I look anywhere but perfectly straight. By that I mean every two centimentres I see a wave of black on the bottom side.
Funny how the laptops that HP offers has excellent screens, and they are half price of what I paid.
I also have a white spot on my screen, but that I don't really care about. The overall screen looks like it's dirty in some light, and if I scroll down, it doesn't go away, which is really tedious on the eyes.

What sucks is when I went to the apple store to address this issue, she told me that I inflicted the damage myself, by the use of pressure on the screen by your books your bag. She said i bruised it. Wtf? I never put my computer in my bag pack, and that isn't an excuse to justify not giving me a new screen.

Do you think they will replace it at all? It's been six months of me using this computer, and I just tolerated this screen, thinking it was normal. Does anyone else have any screen issues like mine, and how did you guys address it?

Any help would be appreciated :)

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Well she is dumb, I would have asked for the manager if I were you. Hard drive clicking is not a good sign, usually means that it's going to fail sooner or later (happened with my family's computer). I'd bring it back and get them to replace it or try to atleast.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Well she is dumb, I would have asked for the manager if I were you. Hard drive clicking is not a good sign, usually means that it's going to fail sooner or later (happened with my family's computer). I'd bring it back and get them to replace it or try to atleast.

she was the manager :cool: plus I is a week old harddrive :(
I donno what I should do anymore. Do you think I might be able to get a new macbook, maybe even a penyrn version.

I also have the whine, a weak mouse clicker, and some other small things ;)

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
I always deal with them over the phone rather than trail into the store. I don't know the consumer law in Canada but here in the UK what you describe is clearly faulty and they should replace it.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Call Apple Care to complain about the machine. They will either send you a box so they can inspect the machine, or have you take it into the a store.

TEG

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
well turns out I have the dreaded macbook vibration now ever since I got the new drive installed. The whole computer would vibrate and only stop if I put a piece of paper underneath. That just blows. I loved my mac ever since I got it, recommended all my friends to get one, but there was so many problems in just half a year that I don't think I would buy another one from them. I love leopard, but the hardware has really started becoming cheaper like all those PC computers. I should just go the osx86 route next time I guess.

btw, can these four problems give me a replacement macbook?
cpu whine
uneven backlighting (not noticeable by everyone but by me its killer)
weak clicker
hd vibration

I can't call them anymore since it's been more than 3 months and I don't have applecare. FYI, its been since September since I bought it, can that still give me a replacement?

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
well turns out I have the dreaded macbook vibration now ever since I got the new drive installed. The whole computer would vibrate and only stop if I put a piece of paper underneath. That just blows. I loved my mac ever since I got it, recommended all my friends to get one, but there was so many problems in just half a year that I don't think I would buy another one from them. I love leopard, but the hardware has really started becoming cheaper like all those PC computers. I should just go the osx86 route next time I guess.

btw, can these four problems give me a replacement macbook?
cpu whine
uneven backlighting (not noticeable by everyone but by me its killer)
weak clicker
hd vibration

I can't call them anymore since it's been more than 3 months and I don't have applecare. FYI, its been since September since I bought it, can that still give me a replacement?

Your hardware phone support doesn't expire after 90 days. Call them up and tell them you have *HARDWARE* problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.