Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is GPS a deal breaker for you?

• I will buy the iPhone without GPS

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I will not buy the iPhone without GPS

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • I will buy the iPhone without GPS but I expect it to be added later

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J-Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I am interested to know how many people here feel that without a proper GPS functionality in the iPhone they'll struggle on with their old phone.

Clearly some form of this is in the pipeline, and it must be where Google want to go with their mobile maps eventually.

But I'm not too interested in idle speculation, just as to whether I am the only person for whom this will prevent me getting the phone.

My reasons are 1. I was expecting it. 2. For the likely price, (unlocked price, in Europe) I'd expect it even more. 3. I hate to see a missed oportunity. 4. It's only a phone and I'm in no hurry but if it had GPS I'd probably get it.

It's been around a few years now of course but GPS still amazes me. especially the speed cam warning thing.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well I know in the US since I believe at least 2005 (if not earlier) it been mandated by law that all cell phones sold after that date the cell companies had to know a way to get there GPS location during at least a 911 call. Now how they choose to do it is completely up the the company. Verizon and Sprint went with GPS so all there phones contain a GPS system. I believe Circular and T-Mobile went with a system that triangulate your location based off how long it takes your phone signal to get to 3 different towers and that gives them a GPS location. So from that we know that the iPhone is going to have to have at least some way to get your coordinates and if apple ever wants to sell to one of the CMDA carrier the phone will have to have GPS in it.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Worthless tech that I'll never need.

I wouldn't say never.

With a 40 GB HD and a GPS with on the fly re-routing capability, the iPhone would be approaching the perfect device for me. I have a Garmin iQue PDA. I'm not an amazingly organized individual and since I've gotten my laptop I use it almost exclusively as a GPS and it has come in handy (most recently on a road trip from NE Texas to Wisconsin and back). With the GPS and HD the iPhone could take the place of my Garmin, iPod and Cell phone with some features that this combination currently lacks and would cost about half what the current device menagerie does.

MapGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
few thoughts on no GPS

It seems like a major mistake to not include it. The tight integration with Google Maps would make for some great functionality. Also, there are some great voice enabled navigation solutions out there that would keep iphone users from having to pop for an external nav system.

Warbrain - you really have no interest in a phone that can provide location based services? Never need directions? Never interested in having your trip optimized around traffic? Never interested in knowing when you'll arrive at a destination? I'm surprised.

I threw down a few other thoughts on the no GPS at www.funkymarble.com

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I wouldn't say never.

With a 40 GB HD and a GPS with on the fly re-routing capability, the iPhone would be approaching the perfect device for me. I have a Garmin iQue PDA. I'm not an amazingly organized individual and since I've gotten my laptop I use it almost exclusively as a GPS and it has come in handy (most recently on a road trip from NE Texas to Wisconsin and back). With the GPS and HD the iPhone could take the place of my Garmin, iPod and Cell phone with some features that this combination currently lacks and would cost about half what the current device menagerie does.

Would a hard disk be robust enough for the bumps a phone is likely to take? (Much more so than the iPod, I'd expect).

J-Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Fairly interesting (if not statistically significant) results.

About a third each. If reflective of potential market as a whole, it could go either way. But 2 thirds would have it anyway. So possibly not enough demand and certainly not enough if it's going to increase the cost.

Ah well, I was waiting for the thing for a year, and I will have to wait another year EU anyway, by which time they might have added it.
Will I still care by then?

Might as well fish for a new free phone on contract while I'm waiting.

Thanks to all responders

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd expect GPS in my next MP3 player/Phone/whatever. I'm adventuring further onto the moors so a plain old GPS system and a little tiny map (well, compared to the rest of the world) would be miles better than carrying a map and a compass... (and with the the iPhone) an MP3 player and separate phone and low level camera.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Just posted this in the current top story:

I don't see why everyone gets so steamy over GPS. If you can read a map, you don't need to know your exact location by coordinate.

Now, I realize there actually are people out there who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time (I currently work in tech support), but I don't see how the lack of GPS should be a deal breaker. Get on your iPhone, go to Google maps and ask for step-by-step directions with pictures.

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
Just posted this in the current top story:

I don't see why everyone gets so steamy over GPS. If you can read a map, you don't need to know your exact location by coordinate.

Now, I realize there actually are people out there who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time (I currently work in tech support), but I don't see how the lack of GPS should be a deal breaker. Get on your iPhone, go to Google maps and ask for step-by-step directions with pictures.
This would be like saying: "Why iTunes integration is such a big deal? Anybody can drag and drop songs on a mp3 player."

It's just easier to get directions with a GPS enabled device.

And while I could certainly read google maps when I'm walking around, I definitely couldn't when I'm driving a car.
I'm bringing a GPS enabled PDA with me every time I have to drive to an unknown location, so having the same functionality on the iPhone means carrying only one device.

I'd definitely buy a "TomTom iPhone edition + bluetooth GPS receiver" bundle for 200$.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
gps is critical for business users. maybe not every business user, but for the majority, big time useful.

i have a garmin unit that i use for hunting as well as navigating around cities. it's awesome.

my wife, who is not the most technical savvy person, wants an iphone, but if it had a built in GPS, it would be bought the day it releases in Canada. she's a financial advisor, often visiting folks at their work or home. to be able to drop a map from her work computer to an iphone and then follow it to her client's door, all the while being a music player and phone....is insanely useful.

plus, that means I would buy one too :)

Cheers,
keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.