Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kushal11

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Mumbai, India.
Hi guys!

As some of you may have read, I happened to drop my iPhone in the washroom and suffered liquid damage. It's the XS Max and while I can take calls, hear people text me, the screen is completely blank. Human intelligence allows me to unlock it by entering the passcode but not really much after.

My last back up of everything was 6 months back and I don't use iCloud.

I am able to connect my iPhone to my Mac, I reach the point where I can trust the device on my Mac but then you need to input the same on your iPhone which I cannot because I cannot see anything so I am not being able to back up on my Mac.

Any help will be appreciated.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you want to keep the phone, get the screen replaced. If you don’t, you could try phone to phone transfer of data if you can push the right buttons.
Otherwise your only backup is six months old to use as a restore source for a newer phone

kushal11

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Mumbai, India.
If you want to keep the phone, get the screen replaced. If you don’t, you could try phone to phone transfer of data if you can push the right buttons.
Otherwise your only backup is six months old to use as a restore source for a newer phone

I've ordered a new 13 pro. I'm just thankful to god this happened after three years and lost one year of use on the phone.

The data is important to me and from what I have seen, a phone to phone transfer would also require the display to work.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Well -
If the data is really important, you could get a third party cheapo screen replacement or maybe a repair shop has a 2nd hand screen that would work well enough to be able to interact with the phone.
It’ll cost you, but maybe it’s worth it depending on how valuable your data is

Reactions: kushal11

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Not unique really, many threads on this forum of members not doing regular backups, something unexpected happens to their phone and they can't get important data off the device. Just another reason why backing up regularly is important.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I've ordered a new 13 pro. I'm just thankful to god this happened after three years and lost one year of use on the phone.

The data is important to me and from what I have seen, a phone to phone transfer would also require the display to work.

I’m thinking you might actually be able to pull off a phone to phone transfer without the screen working. Most of the data input happens on the new phone. On the old phone you need to hit OK and then use the camera on the old phone to scan an image that appears on the new phone and that’s about it. This assumes that the camera still works and that you can manage to get the image centered where it needs to be, but I think you could probably pull it off with some trial and error.

Maybe find a YouTube video of someone doing a phone to phone transfer so you get an idea of where you need to press and scan and such. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: kushal11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.