Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brodw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
below when I mention The App I am referring to the App I am creating. Currently it does not have a name.

About

Initially the idea came from theming OS X, something which is quite simple in theory but difficult in execution. Sending big archives to friends like “hey copy this here and that there, but not this but do that, then restart and look how cool it is!". After creating a bunch of utilities to help this it was decided a more advanced app was needed and so The App was born.

By the end of the brainstorming it was clear that developers should be able to make modifications to OS X or an App, package their modifications and then be able to ship it out to people without having to write 10 pages of terminal docs on how it is installed. The end user would then open the package with The App and in one-click apply it.

Things the app is.

A Universal Modification Utility and Manager. Capable to changing things from having custom css on a website to the way the OS X boots. It is purely a developers friend for releasing and packaging modifications and an end users friend for applying them.

Compatible with current modifications.. Lets say you created a mod for OS X in some form, chances are that you can easily chuck it in a package and it will work via The App.

Things the app is not.

Flavours App - While flavours does allow you to modify certain aspects of the appearance in OS X it does not let you share you files and creations freely and openly. And certainly does not let you modify files. Plus its $20..

The App, while in beta will be free - it will turn into donation-ware thereafter. Originally the app was going to be opensource, it has since been decided it will not be.

If you would like to contribute email nullusco (at) gmail.com

BETA ETA: 7days. (updated saturday 27 july)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.