Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
M1 Mini, Big Sur, fully updated.

Looking for some advice. I have three nice quality, although far from professional, boom mics that I use only for facetime. USB attached of course, but the problem with all three is that the volume is too low, even with the slider in Big Sur settings to 100%. Is a solution to get a USB mixer with a volume control? Does that actually exist? I see lots of possible boxes on Amazon but not really sure what I am needing.

This isn't for Youtube production or anything like that, so I don't need some studio quality gear. It is just so that I can carry on a conversation without shouting into the mike and being heard all over the house.

Thanks all.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Maybe your looking for something the Mackie PROV3 Series!
This is analog in. I think OP wants to continue using their USB mic, but find a way to boost the volume?

M1 Mini, Big Sur, fully updated.

Looking for some advice. I have three nice quality, although far from professional, boom mics that I use only for facetime. USB attached of course, but the problem with all three is that the volume is too low, even with the slider in Big Sur settings to 100%. Is a solution to get a USB mixer with a volume control? Does that actually exist? I see lots of possible boxes on Amazon but not really sure what I am needing.

This isn't for Youtube production or anything like that, so I don't need some studio quality gear. It is just so that I can carry on a conversation without shouting into the mike and being heard all over the house.

Thanks all.
If I understand what you’re after, I think you might be better off finding a better mic. If you find one with with a good analog out you can feed it into an analog to digital converter with USB out (such as the device @satcomer proposed). There are also plenty of more compact units without all the controls, effects and lights if you’re looking for simpler.

Proper mic setup is a profession all its own, but mics are often somewhat directional— does it help to just change how they are aimed?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This is analog in. I think OP wants to continue using their USB mic, but find a way to boost the volume?

If I understand what you’re after, I think you might be better off finding a better mic. If you find one with with a good analog out you can feed it into an analog to digital converter with USB out (such as the device @satcomer proposed). There are also plenty of more compact units without all the controls, effects and lights if you’re looking for simpler.

Proper mic setup is a profession all its own, but mics are often somewhat directional— does it help to just change how they are aimed?
It goes out USB to computer!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It goes out USB to computer!
I’m not entirely sure what OP is after, but it sounds like they want USB in from the mic And then usb out again to the computer— digital in digital out. Basically like a GarageBand mixer.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Maybe your looking for something the Mackie PROV3 Series!
Thanks.
That looks good, but unfortunately it is USB out but only analog mic in. I was looking for a usb mike in ->amp -> usb out. However, that may not be a thing. If I need to change to an analog mic, I can do it. But, still looking before I order more hardware.

To elaborate. I have all USB mics. The volume out is too low on all unless I shout or almost kiss the mic. The latter is not a problem with a Youtube presenter who just needs to talk, but I need to look at two monitors and other stuff and type with a big hulking boom that I have to look around. I have tried collar mics, but they tend to vary greatly depending which way I am looking.

Not sure yet if a solution is with a software mixer, or some hardware box. Apparently Windows has this problem in spades - dozens of fixes for Redmonds best, but few or none for MacOs. (that I have found as yet).

Still looking.

Last edited:

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas

Yep. I am about to come to the same conclusion. Get a really good analog mike and an analog->USB amp. And it can be a simple box. I don't need a professional mixer. Just a one channel amp.

I will run this USB problem into the ground, then move to plan B if I find nothing for USB to USB.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Maybe then look at the software Sound Source!
Yep. Just tried that an hour ago. But, it is the same as the System Preferences slider. Set it to 100%, move back only a few inches from the mic, and the volume barely shows on the waveform panel. Wondered if it was an M1 problem, so I tried it with my perfectly good Mojave iMac 2017. Exactly the same thing. Three different USB mics, from three different manufacturers. Or at least three different labels. For all I know they could all come from the same unnamed Chinese factory.

Wonder if I am looking at this problem wrong or to closely. I can't possibly be the only person in the Mac universe with low USB mic volume. Although google search seems to think so. Few hits at all, unless you are on Windoze.

Ugg.

vizzini

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
If you want a USB mic with MUCH better gain, try the Audio-Technica AT2020USB. It is a condenser, so it will pick up any background noise that is within its pickup pattern.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
You haven't posted what mics you've tried so we can only guess they're unsuitable. A good USB mic will work properly.
Rode NT-USB
Blue Yeticaster
MAONO 192KHZ/24Bit This one is a cheapo, but it isn't any noticeably different than the above $150+ models.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
The pros and semi pros did not agree on my problem, but they definitely came together in their opinions that USB Mics suck, and that is putting comments politely. Using a tin can and a string, or a really powerful public announcement horn, or just stepping out on the porch and shouting, were the mildest recommendations for replacement. Apparently I hit a nerve somewhere.

But I have been using a lent unit for a pair of days that is a condenser mic with XLR connector and a small solo amp that connects to the Mac with USB. Small is the keyword. Any of the amps would work, but most have a hundred buttons that I would never use and would take up a massive amount of valuable desktop.

But, this pair works great with a total range on mic input - including way too high if not careful.

Got on Amazon and ordered the exact same setup for myself. Three USB mics destined for the Salvation Army.

Problem solved.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Just curious, I didn't look up the mics you have, but none of them have an analog gain stage adjustment?

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I have the 48V traditional RODE mike system with a Scarlett amplifier as I was struggling with volume before, but only with a directly attached and a rather cheap analogue mic. The new system it is so much quieter in terms of hiss.

Which microphones do you have?

A quick search shows no really good options if turning up the input sensitivity on the computer doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.