Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I have an old iPhone 4s running iOS 9.3 and was wanting a way to enter the passcode more than 5 times without it disabling. Is there a setting for this?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The entire point of having this disable feature is to stop endless brute force. So, there is no setting for it.

You do can stop iOS from erasing all data after 10 failed attempt tho, if you did not enable “erase data” before.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Thanks for replies, i didnt think it was an option but wanted to make sure.

And let me explain as there is nothing shady going on here. I have an old iPhone that i was going to use in an escape room that im designing for my friends at my house. Instead of using a traditional lock for the final puzzle im using the iPhone with a custom alphanumeric passcode. If they unlock the phone they win. It will have a victory audio file to play.

I guess if they enter the wrong code too many times they lose. Not a big deal.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just use any other type of phone?
While technically yes, if this iPhone happens to lay around with nothing on it, repurposing it like that won’t hurt. Old iPhone also has higher chance to get a jailbreak, and enable a whole lot more customisation options.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Why don’t you buy one of those secret photo/video apps that uses a password. Run the app in Guided Access mode.

Reactions: nicho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.