Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
I have an Emachines
Amd Atholon 2.17 512 RAm
DVD-rw 160GB

and

Powermac G4 Dualie 500
512 RAM
40Gb

And I was wondering which computer would be faster, after Christmas I will be getting a couple upgrades for my powermac.

THANK YOU

mikey12784

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
... for what? for EVERYthing, the PC will be faster, unless its a program that only works on macs. thats basically an xp 3000+ i think? it would be better for all around usage, gaming, and photoshop/audio work, there is nothing that the dual g4 500 would beat it in, unless like i said its apple only software.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Veritas&Equitas said:
... Just check the benchies...

Cool give me benchmarks of both running OS X then I'll give half a toss. Does it really make a difference which CPU is faster if only one of them does what you want? :rolleyes:

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Veritas&Equitas said:
No, it's not just you. The Athlon 64 X2 truly does pwn the G5, in addition to any other cpu out there :D Just check the benchies...
I'm not aware of any A64X2 vs. PPC 970MP benchmarks...

but the single core Opterons and single-core G5s are roughly equivalent, so...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Athlons always seem to win at everything. I wish I had one to try out to see if it is that great. I wasn't that impressed running Windows on a top of the line Pentium M. I thought my Powerbook "pwned" it. Perhaps it was Windows spyware slowing it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.