Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
I'm now deciding between 13" (A1502) and 15" (A1398) models. The sound quality matters much to me, so I did a research but could not find any comperation between those machines in that regard. Can you please tell me, how much their speakers differ, how worse is the 13 compared to bigger brother? I actually had 15 inch model and know it's performance, but if there are some tes rcordings comparing the two it would be great

Two more questions about the model:
I heard, 2015 model has a much better (2 hours plus) battery life, can you prove it, or it's not really that great?

Also, I don't really like how the clicking experience is inconsistent on the old trackpad, hand is stressed if I press close to the hinge, it's not very predictable. Is ForceTouch really better in that way? I never used it and can't guess is it good enough to overpay for a fresher model?

I'll appreciate your feedback!

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Speakers in laptops suck and the ones in Apple laptops aren't much better than average. You're not going to find any comparisons between models because nobody thinks laptop speakers are good enough to bother with a serious review in the first place. Generally speaking though, Apple laptops made at the same time often feature the same speaker technology (or at least very similar kinds) so there probably won't be a noticeable difference between them.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have the 2015 13”. The speakers are crap. If you’re watching YouTube or whatever it’s probably ok, but if you want to listen to music or want a more immersive movie experience you will want external speakers.

It’s not that they’re worse than any other laptop I’ve had; they’re probably better. And I’m sure the 15” is even better. But they’re still laptop speakers. I use external speakers via 3.5” or via wifi.

Reactions: Intenditore

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It's a laptop, a thin one at that.
The speakers just aren't going to sound great, as compared to external speakers or headphones.
Having said that, they still sound "acceptable enough", being what it is.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
I do get laptop speakers are always on the low-end side, but some of the machines I had were so bad at that, so I could not use them at all, even listening to conversation on Skype was painful.

But 15" Macbook is a whole another story, it's speakers are one of the best I know. And I simply wanted to have a clue how do 13 compare to it.
Listening for the music on the go/on set isn't very easy with stand-alone speakers so quality matters anyway :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.