Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, it was either 30% power reduction or 10% more performance at same power vs N5.
This doesn't look like neither of them.

I was expecting a balance but damn, this is entirely unexpected tbh.

30% power reduction compared to N5 v1.0 maybe, but certainly not after N5P (A15) and N4P (A16).

Reactions: Dulcimer

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
30% power reduction compared to N5 v1.0 maybe, but certainly not after N5P (A15) and N4P (A16).
A16 was N4 not Pro

And even discounting both "refining nodes" upgrades as I mentioned a few posts back, you would have expected at least a tiny bit of power uplift for just 10% more performance, the same way it happened with N7 to N5.

This, I don't know. It's bad. Either it's Apple's fault or TSMC's, but it's bad.

Reactions: Populus

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
A16 was N4 not Pro

And even discounting both "refining nodes" upgrades as I mentioned a few posts back, you would have expected at least a tiny bit of power uplift for just 10% more performance, the same way it happened with N7 to N5.

This, I don't know. It's bad. Either it's Apple's fault or TSMC's, but it's bad.

Maybe there's still debate, but the reverse engineering pros consider A16 fabbed using N4P.

Reactions: mprime_17

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
Maybe there's still debate, but the reverse engineering pros consider A16 fabbed using N4P.

They mentioned a 4nm process in their keynote and not "second generation 4nm" like they did with the A15 and M2. So yeah, there's a lot of confusion. But if the A16 was N4P then, as right now with the A17, the results are extremely disappointing.

fzJNotIBOxgnbqejSeVCvJScL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2021
Apple may have fixed vulnerabilities in the processor design that result in a major performance hit. (Like Spectre & Co.) Does anyone know if there were any major vulnerabilities in the ARM design?

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
A16 was N4 not Pro

So cancel pre order?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Many people were expecting A17 to be three steps forward. A17 is more like half.

Yeah and even more were expecting (hoping) for the three steps forward because of what it might mean for M3 Pro/Max. Personally I don't care about iPhone ray tracing or anything like that but I did think M3's new 3nm process would be a huge jump vs. M1 Max.

We shall see. So far A17 numbers are not impressive.

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
So cancel pre order?
I'm waiting for a special sale in my country that occurs in November (200 bucks off), but so far I'm not that enthusiastic about the jump from my regular 13. Currently waiting for more reviews, especially about any improvement on the awful watercolor pictures in the processing pipeline.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
There's a preview version exclusive for the 15 pros.
But the Beta version I’ve seen (US reviewers) is locked at 30fps with no way to change it. This review from China says “Geekerwan displayed that the phone thermal throttles quite aggressively and the frame rate falls from mid-40s to around 30 FPS.”
So something isn’t quite adding up . It shouldn’t be hitting 40fps ever.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
But the Beta version I’ve seen (US reviewers) is locked at 30fps with no way to change it. This review from China says “Geekerwan displayed that the phone thermal throttles quite aggressively and the frame rate falls from mid-40s to around 30 FPS.”
So something isn’t quite adding up . It shouldn’t be hitting 40fps ever.

Geekerwan says they modified the config.ini file to change the resolution and FPS.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 9.07.03 PM.png

Reactions: mprime_17

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
For this kind of power usage increase, the performance increase is highly disappointing.

Has me a bit worried. Reminds me of Intel.

Reactions: Populus

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
The display driver typically consumes 10% of the overall display system power. About 90% is from the panel backlight. That’s why those DDICs are made using mature nodes like 40nm and 28nm in the first place - because it doesn’t really matter.
I would agree… except OLED panels are self-emitting and the display driver is what’s lighting up the panel (unlike an LCD, there is no separate backlight). Additionally, OLED panels use current, not voltage, for activation, which means power reduction in driver results in bigger power savings.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I believe the general consensus is that 2024 will be the year of 3nm.

A17 has been a nice way for Apple to flex its muscles, nice product, could've been a trainwreck and it isn't, but we're still not at prime time for the 3nm node, for both volume production and efficiency.

Next year it'll be probably scrapped altogether and we'll see binned A18 and full-fat A18 Pro.

I can see Apple not rushing the M-series on this node, probabily wouldn't scale well for the higher power chips (Pro, Max, Ultra).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.