Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Do you think ios 8.1 will speed up the performance of the A5 devices out there

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
No. They will be purposely slowed down forcing you to upgrade.

This is not true. Operating systems are always expanding in size and complexity, plus added features for the newer hardware. This will cause the slowdown on older hardware naturally. This is and has almost always been the case with newer operating systems on older hardware.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
This is not true. Operating systems are always expanding in size and complexity, plus added features for the newer hardware. This will cause the slowdown on older hardware naturally. This is and has almost always been the case with newer operating systems on older hardware.

Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm. Will post /s from next time.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

That is not true at all. Google managed to get newer Android on lower end devices without slowing down and cutting features, Microsoft managed to get their Windows on older computers. Heck, my old Pentium Dual Core machine runs good from Windows XP all the way to Windows 10.

Johnick

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Do you think ios 8.1 will speed up the performance of the A5 devices out there

I hope so, my 5th Gen iPod Touch runs 8.02 perfectly, but Ive heard so many horror stories about the iPad 2 I'm glad I stayed on 7.1.2. It was the same situation last year with the regular 4s on iOS 7, but then they fixed it with 7.1 so here's hoping.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

That word "almost."

Windows 7 was faster than Vista and 8 faster still.

OS X had an optimization release.

iOS 7.1 was MUCH faster than 7.0 on all devices.

If enough people bitch sometimes the megacorps pause and listen for a minute.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 8.1 beta brings no noticeable performance improvements, expect nothing in that area.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
That is not true at all. Google managed to get newer Android on lower end devices without slowing down and cutting features, Microsoft managed to get their Windows on older computers. Heck, my old Pentium Dual Core machine runs good from Windows XP all the way to Windows 10.

So does my iMac with dual core from tiger straight to Yosemite. What's your point?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

this.

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
this sucks, i might get an android next time, ios releases are seriously lagging devices years after years

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
your iphone doesnt last as long as your imac.
even though chances are, your iphone has a faster processor and comparable RAM than your Tiger era iMac.

I was saying that indeed you can't compare iPhones to computers. And no, my 2007 iMac is still miles ahead of iPhone 6 plus, lol, what are talking about.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

My 2007 iMac running Yosemite says otherwise. That machine runs flawlessly and better than it did when I first bought it over 7 years ago.

No, this is an iOS occurrence, plain and simple. It happens because the iPhone is their main source of revenue.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
It's not perfect but 8.1 has really improved my ipad3.
It's smoother, ans safari works better.
My iPad is more usable now

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was saying that indeed you can't compare iPhones to computers. And no, my 2007 iMac is still miles ahead of iPhone 6 plus, lol, what are talking about.

and i'm saying why can't you compare them?
they're both modern computers with modern OS.

sure your specific 2007 imac may still be miles ahead of the iPhone but i'm saying the chips inside these iphones are no slouch. if my old 2006 windows pc can run windows 8 no problem, 8 years after release, why cant my 2 year old iphone run ios 8 smoothly?

not a comprehensive evidence but geekbench is calibrated such that a score of 2500 = a core i5 2.5ghz.

my iphone 6's geekbench score is 2900.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
A i5 does not have a geek bench score of 2500. The i5 on the MacBook Air from a few years ago gets around at least ~5000. My Core Duo from 2009 gets 2500. Also Arm vs X86.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That is not true at all. Google managed to get newer Android on lower end devices

Are you specifically talking about the Nexus line?

The reason why I ask is because 90% of Android Phones made by companies like Samsung, HTC, Moto, LG and others cram so much of their garbage (Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc) into their phones there is no room to update to a newer version of Android down the line because of the lack of internal space and it's well known that every new version of Android usually takes up more internal storage.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Are you specifically talking about the Nexus line?

The reason why I ask is because 90% of Android Phones made by companies like Samsung, HTC, Moto, LG and others cram so much of their garbage (Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc) into their phones there is no room to update to a newer version of Android down the line because of the lack of internal space and it's well known that every new version of Android usually takes up more internal storage.

Samsung is biggest offender on bloatware. HTC and Moto are not so bad. I have Moto G and Moto X, Android is running just fine. Especially with Moto G and Moto X, it runs near stock Android with only one Moto app.

Update sould not really problem though. Lots of Android phone actually provide SD card and users can simply move everything to SD card. Now I switch back to iPhone with iPhone 6, however, I can honestly say, my old 8GB Moto G without any SD expansion never had problem on updating software. I updated from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 to 4.4.4.

Google is also pushing their Android L into lower tire phone named Android One. Those phone are gonna be blow $100 or so. Google provide Android and software updates and OEMs provides hardware. I think Android One will basically provide pure Android experience and quickly software updates.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Samsung is biggest offender on bloatware. HTC and Moto are not so bad. I have Moto G and Moto X, Android is running just fine. Especially with Moto G and Moto X, it runs near stock Android with only one Moto app.

Update sould not really problem though. Lots of Android phone actually provide SD card and users can simply move everything to SD card. Now I switch back to iPhone with iPhone 6, however, I can honestly say, my old 8GB Moto G without any SD expansion never had problem on updating software. I updated from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 to 4.4.4.

Google is also pushing their Android L into lower tire phone named Android One. Those phone are gonna be blow $100 or so. Google provide Android and software updates and OEMs provides hardware. I think Android One will basically provide pure Android experience and quickly software updates.

The internal storage on the phone has 2 partitions. One partition is reserved for user apps and the other partition is for the operating system itself.

You cannot free up any space on the OS partition of the phone so if a newer version of Android comes along that requires more space you cannot install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.