Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
These two devices are outliers in terms of existence, hardware, and software support.

Google is going all SeVeN YeArz SuppoRt mode... so I'm guessing minimum that for standalone devices.

That being said: the Apple TV sale window was October 30, 2015 - October 2022 (but pops up on the refurb site from time-to-time).

The HomePod sale window was February 9, 2018 - March 12, 2021.

---- Both have tvOS 17 / audioOS 17 ----

What is Apple's trend for continuing operating systems after the sale window has ended (launch date not considered) (also forget Watch Series 3 immediate Sale + Update End).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For the original HomePod the software support date may be irrelevant if the capacitor blows and it stops working. Saw reports of the problem but hit home when one of my 4 died. Repair cost is only slightly less than buying a new one.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
For the original HomePod the software support date may be irrelevant if the capacitor blows and it stops working. Saw reports of the problem but hit home when one of my 4 died. Repair cost is only slightly less than buying a new one.

Ouch! Hadn't heard of that until now! Sucks to hear!!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My two AppleTV HD's still work fine and meet my (modest) needs, currently running the newest version of TVos with no apparent problems. However, I suspect apps will stop supporting it (or become too buggy to use) before Apple formally drops support.

I was happy to continue using my AppleTV3's after the end of support but had to replace them when I started using Sling for streaming, because they didn't support the AppleTV3. Some people seem to still be using AppleTV3's but there are a few threads saying that Apple no longer allows you to login to iCloud on the AppleTV3, which effective killed them for most purposes.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
My two AppleTV HD's still work fine and meet my (modest) needs, currently running the newest version of TVos with no apparent problems. However, I suspect apps will stop supporting it (or become too buggy to use) before Apple formally drops support.

I was happy to continue using my AppleTV3's after the end of support but had to replace them when I started using Sling for streaming, because they didn't support the AppleTV3. Some people seem to still be using AppleTV3's but there are a few threads saying that Apple no longer allows you to login to iCloud on the AppleTV3, which effective killed them for most purposes.

Do you think so long as there is a dedicated media decoder chip on those, they can just... Keep running?!

Maybe game support will be limited and such, but as far as media and audio apps are concerned these things will just keep going?

Re: Apple TV 3 -- I wish Apple would unlock the bootloader after *X* years so these things could have third party operating systems installed and be turned into like little ARM Linux or GNU/Hurd BSD or PureDarwin or PostmarketOS desktop OS machines or something! Then again I wish that would apply to all hardware that's lost the ability to download from an App Store.

TL:DR? Green initiave: after app support is dropped: the system is open to other operating systems so it can find a second life somewhere and stay out of landfills if it's not recycled by being sent back to Apple.

Last edited:

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
4th gen Apple TV has had such great long term support and still function well with the latest software. Nothing to complain about! I think they probably have one more major tvOS left in them but who knows! As long as they retain access to the App Store beyond that, they should still be useful for quite some time.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Both devices are prime examples of planned obsolescence products. While older AppleTVs- just like older Macs- would have the horses to keep right out producing their same output, the software on them will stop updating (both tvOS and apps themselves) until you basically must replace them, even for the same output. Fire up any vintaged AppleTV and see this first hand. Try to run the favorite apps and/or attempt to install/update favored apps to use new features offered by those apps. Or fire up an old Mac and try to run Safari or similar. It's basically over when the Corp says it's over... even if the hardware itself is still fully capable.

To me, HPs are basically iMacs for audio: a relatively great value "all in one" going in but doomed to "throw baby out with the bathwater" at the end. The dominant "dumb" part- the speakers themselves- like the iMac screen- will still be perfectly fine and should be able to produce the same quality of audio for 10, 20 or maybe even 30 years. But the "smart" part on which the dumb part completely depends to play anything will be obsolete as soon as that tier of Apple tech is arbitrarily vintaged.

Unlike old Macs where one can apply third party hacks to get around Apple vintaging for another year or three, these self-contained boxes without user access to the software probably won't have use-extending hack options. About when Apple decides it's time for you to give them more money, the older tech begins having problems and/or stops working entirely. Relative to HP, see this ALREADY in how Gen 2 could not stereo sync with Gen 1. Will Gen 3 sync with Gen 2? Precedent implies no. Why sell you only 1 new speaker when such choices can drive the sales of two? 💰💰💰

And yes, since ASD also has a dependency on a tier of iOS software & silicon, I'd be worried about those too. People are still using former Apple-branded monitors discontinued from 12+ years ago because they are not married to iOS-based "smarts." Everything newer that leans on iOS and a specific generation of silicon likely has a ticking clock until they are made obsolete, whether they still have the ability to deliver their core benefit(s) or not.

For something priced like AppleTV, a buy of the latest today probably gets you 5+ years of full use. For something priced like ASD though, the same 5+ years of use is a bit more expensive.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.