Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
My daughter came up to me yesterday and said, "Dad, can you look at the Xbox, Lego Star Wars won't work."

Well, I chuckled and thought, "Heh, they probably have the disc upside down or something", so I smiled in a patronising way and said, "Sure honey, I'll fix that for you."

But what I saw in the family room dropped me to my knees. There, blinking at me from across the room, was a sight known to turn even the mightiest gamers' bowels to water, the RED RING!

And not just any red ring, the BLINKING RED RING WITH THE UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT BLACKED OUT!!!

So now I'm in warranty claim hell. My wife gave it to me for Xmas and has no idea where the receipt is. Wish me luck.

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
You know, I've heard so many horror stories about 360's crashing, that I have lost interest in getting one at this point. The red ring of death is certainly a bad sign.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The red ring of death is certainly a bad sign.

Not necesserily. Make sure that the hard drive is seated correctly, make sure no cable is loose at the back.

Fingers crossed it could be somthing very simple.

If not just get onto M$ and get them to sort it.

In regards to warranty..

I recently found out that M$ here in Ireland are now honouring the 2 year warranty for all xbox's bought in Ireland, not sure where you are but even if you think it may be out of warranty - it may not be.

I must be lucky. 2 360's and still no hardware failure.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
If the UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT light is not on whiles in the red light mode that means its a hardware failure and you will have to call MS....sorry pal I feel your pain...mines died three weeks ago and I'm waiting for my replacement.

Its like taking a risk buying this machine...sometimes you gamble right and it should not be like this.

Bless

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I had to have mine replaced after two months, the DVD drive broke. There was very little hassle in getting it repaired/replaced; though I've noticed one symptom again (no in-car music while driving in Crackdown) which started just before the DVD drive died the last time. :eek:

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Ah, yeah, I meant the upper right quad ring missing, my bad.

A buddy of mine just downloaded a recent update on his 360, and after doing so, it froze his X-Box completely. He doesn't mod or do anything stupid like that, but M$ was going to charge $135 for repairs, not including shipping. **** that.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Its like taking a risk buying this machine...sometimes you gamble right and it should not be like this.
\

I totally agree with you, the red ring of death is a design flaw in the construction of the 360, a flaw which would be easy to fix.

Ironically the people who have made money fixing this are 360 modders. They now sell, or will install for you, a fan that goes on top of the CPU to prevent it from overheating and disconnecting, which is what causes most of the 360 meltdowns.

Trogloxene

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
...and you're posting this on a Mac Forum ? :confused:

Have you not learned that all things Micro$oft are expenive, complex and flawed. ;)

-T

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I know your pain. I'm on my fourth. I'm to the point where it's no longer a matter of if the box will fail, but when.

On the bright side you should be in the warranty period. MS will fix your machine, but the process won't be fast and you'll be getting a refurb in return. It sucks, but it's better than having to buy a new one.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I just got mine back two weeks ago after the AV outs failed on it, the turn around on the repair was pretty fast though.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Well, they are sending me a shipping box and made no mention of me having to send in the receipt to get it fixed, so my fingers are crossed on that front.

I tried rebooting with the HD removed, and it did boot up ... once. Then it was back to the red "Eye of Sauron" and a frozen screen.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes for them to send you back a refurb once you send your broken one in?

Echinda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Well, it took six days for the box to get here. I turned it around and got it back to a Purolator desk at Staples the same day the box arrived, so I've done my bit to speed up the process. I'll post when it gets back.

One weird thing about the process. They tell you not to ship your HD back to them. I would have thought they would want to check it out too ... ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.