Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theWoosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Hi
The 27" mid 2011 imac that we have used quite happily for years (upgraded with additional 1tb internal SSD and 32gb RAM and stuck on High Sierra) is of course no longer supported by apple and slowly things are ceasing to work....
I don't want to throw it away, so I'm thinking about running Windows on it and using it for scanning and image editing (with Photoshop - currently CS6).
To do this I thought I would reduce the OS X partition to a minimum and install the rest as boot camp and install Windows 10 on it.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to set this up for maximum Photoshop performance in Windows? (or is it a bad idea?!)

PS I have 3 other computers running Windows 10 and manage linux servers so I'm not bothered by switching!

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
High Sierra still has support for at least another year, and you could look to run Mojave or later using dosdude's patcher if you wanted. I'd avoid moving to Windows 10 at all cost. It's a privacy invading hog of a system with incessant and annoying update loops. Steer clear is my advice.

theWoosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Thanks for that... I am already finding that software updates to apps are not supported and this is becoming a problem.
I wasn't aware of the dosdude patch but it does say: 'Currently, it is not possible to get full graphics acceleration when running Mojave on a system with a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. Mojave will be almost UNUSABLE without graphics acceleration.'
I have a Radeon 6770M graphics controller on this imac 27" mid-2011, so this doesnt' sound like the route to go down...
I have 2 other Windows PC's so I'm not scared off by your comments - MicroSoft are just as bad as Apple in most respects but at least they are not abandoning perfectly good hardware!
I would like advice from those who have tried the Windows route please...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.