Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
so i've just turned my macbook on and started browsing the internet. just had safari on, with say 3 windows max at one point, but most of the time one. all of a sudden a big surge of fan power started to kick in. i checked istat and my cpu was up to 75degrees and my fans getting faster and louder, up to about 6500rpm.

i now have two windows open in safari and its currently 62degrees and the fans are still kicking up a fuss at about 4500rpm.

maybe it's mad because it saw the new macbooks on the macrumors home page, who knows. but seriously, what gives? i've had tons of stuff open before and not heard a whisper out of my fans.

any help? :)

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Would you happen to be visiting sites that uses Flash? Flash takes a lot of CPU cycles on the Mac.

You could also try running Activity Monitor and see what other programs that is using up CPU cycles.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
just to resurrect my old thread, i've just had the exact same thing happen again.

i was on one website, with just safari active (and finder, obviously) and all of a sudden the fans were roaring away at about 6000rpm and the temp was around 75 degrees (on istat)

so what gives? im sat with just one window open on safari and i can't hear the fans and the heats at about mid 50degrees

any help would be appreciated

Crow47

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Well, like the other guy said, open up activity monitor and see what's using your cpu. It's in Applications > Utilities. In the activity monitor window, above
"show" is a drop down menu. Select all processes from that. Then sort the cpu usage. Then find out what is taking up your cpu.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
what's considered excessive on the activity monitor? next time it does it i'll check what's taking it all up.

as for the flash/javascript question, it was on the time's newspaper website, apart from any adverts that may have been animated it was mostly just text.

thanks for the help :)

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
so it started to do it again, when i was just surfing one webpage on safari. it was on myspace, so no flash that obvious, apart from any ads.

i checked activity monitor and CPU was up to about 95 :s

now its gone, and ive just got this macrumors site up CPU is pretty much 0 all the time.

this is confusing me now, any help would be appreciated :)

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
I know this happens to me too sometimes, but I have an iMac. The fans kick on BIG TIME and it gets hot. I just leave that site for the time. :) I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. It might just be an OS X thing. I know Safari seems to hate Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.