Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gabor6810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2023
Dear People!

A few days ago, I noticed that on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) High Sierra, the "About my Mac" preference pane does not display the exact type of computer with the year as you can see on the attached picture. What is causing this? Today, I installed a fresh High Sierra system in a completely official way - from a usb drive, on a completely wiped/repartitioned ssd drive - and the phenomenon persisted.

e6199863-8db1-420d-858e-63e570332c7f

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
In my experience, if the Mac isn't connected to the internet, the year/model won't show, but I don't know if that's the problem. I've also read elsewhere that sometimes that info won't show up because you're using third-party internal components and/or it's a build-to-order machine.

h.gabor6810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2023
In my experience, if the Mac isn't connected to the internet, the year/model won't show, but I don't know if that's the problem. I've also read elsewhere that sometimes that info won't show up because you're using third-party internal components and/or it's a build-to-order machine.
Its always connected to the Internet - both with cable and wifi. And its hardware didn't changed in any way.

Reactions: rm5

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Dear People!

A few days ago, I noticed that on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) High Sierra, the "About my Mac" preference pane does not display the exact type of computer with the year as you can see on the attached picture. What is causing this? Today, I installed a fresh High Sierra system in a completely official way - from a usb drive, on a completely wiped/repartitioned ssd drive - and the phenomenon persisted.

e6199863-8db1-420d-858e-63e570332c7f
If you look at a System Report (click the System Report button at the bottom of the About This Mac window), does it show the "Model Identifier" info correctly? Your post doesn't say which MacBook Pro (13, 15 or 17") but also there were two 2011 MacBook Pro releases - one in February and one in October. One program I use a lot to help with Apple systems and all their hardware and software details, is called MacTracker (it's free from https://mactracker.ca).

Am guessing the Model Identifier is something like MacBookPro8,1 or MacBookPro8,2 or MacBookPro8,3 for the 13", or 15" or 17" models from 2011, but just noticed that MacTracker has the same model id info for both the early and late 2011 versions. Not sure if this is correct or not - as it seems odd that two separate sets of system releases would have the same identifiers. Maybe someone could double check the model identifier values for both early and late 2011 versions of MacBook Pro systems and see if that is indeed the case.

Good luck...

-bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.