Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hello,

I'm a newbie who has been using Windows for years so I'm having some problems adapting to Mac. So forgive me if my question is a small matter, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I changed some settings on a client I use for downloading and it has for some reason set the latest saving location of my files to a /private folder.

I corrected the location on the client so I won't have this problem again but for now the files I got until I noticed this are in that /private folder. In a /-Tmp- folder to be more specific.

So I have two questions:

Is there any way to reach these files?

Because even if I have the files' exact location, I don't know where to paste it to go to that folder as Mac doesn't seem to have an address bar like Windows.

Or would these files be deleted shortly since they're in a /-Tmp- folder? Assuming that is short for "temporary"?

As I said, this may be a small thing to all of you but I couldn't find an answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Hello,

I'm a newbie who has been using Windows for years so I'm having some problems adapting to Mac. So forgive me if my question is a small matter, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I changed some settings on a client I use for downloading and it has for some reason set the latest saving location of my files to a /private folder.

I corrected the location on the client so I won't have this problem again but for now the files I got until I noticed this are in that /private folder. In a /-Tmp- folder to be more specific.

So I have two questions:

Is there any way to reach these files?

Because even if I have the files' exact location, I don't know where to paste it to go to that folder as Mac doesn't seem to have an address bar like Windows.

Or would these files be deleted shortly since they're in a /-Tmp- folder? Assuming that is short for "temporary"?

As I said, this may be a small thing to all of you but I couldn't find an answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Good question, if you have an exact filepath go to your Go menu and select go to folder and put the exact file path in and it should take you right there.

Cheers

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Good question, if you have an exact filepath go to your Go menu and select go to folder and put the exact file path in and it should take you right there.

Cheers

Thank you very very much, I got my files now!

Have a nice day :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.