Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
Hey.

I'm new here and i have a few questions.
I got enough money right now to buy a Mac Mini . Even the Better one but sadly the graphic card of it pretty lame for today.
I've been wondering if Apple ever announce of upgrades for their computers on WWDCs... Or so. And if should i wait till they upgrade it or to buy it now?

Thank you very much.
Ryan.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
If you need it, get it.

If not, wait.

I don't need a GeForce 310 or whatever to do what I need it to do, so it depends on your priorities.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
And what about my other question? Does Apple ever announce of upgrades for their products in WWDC's?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple is going to show off so might as well wait, mind you now the next mini should be a good step up from the current one. Patience is allways a virtue in the world of Apple.:D

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
The thing is, no-one really knows what Apple's going to do before they actually do it. There's the occasional exception but by-and-large it'll catch us all by surprise.

I'm in the same boat and have the funds ready to go but there's no way I'm buying anything until after Steve Jobs does his WWDC keynote on the 7th. I'm not actually expecting a Mac Mini refresh there (although weirder things have happened) but it's more to get a better feel for where Apple's going in terms of software and service and ensure that what I'm about to buy will tie in with both those announcements and my own way of working.

Basically, hold on a week then make your decision. If you're happy with the current configuration then buy it and don't worry if it gets upgraded soon, these things happen. If you'd rather hang on and see if it does get a bump to the current Macbook specs (most likely bump really, the mini has always been a Macbook with a screen) then fair enough.

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
i suggest you wait. the specs for the mac mini are kinda stupid now. not when it was first released but now. to honestly tell you, nvidia 9400m has higher consumption than the 320m in which will likely replace the 9400m and is 30% more efficient than the gpu used now and, apple will likely put a more powerful maybe even better mobile or basic desktop processor so you can have more performance. hard disk drive capacity is likely going up, so you can get 700 gb of space if it is possible. also, apple will likely reduce prices- the 320m is cheaper than that stupid nvidia 9400m :) im so against it. im telling you. when you feel like gaming on that thing, youll regret it. dont be like me, i bought a macbook pro and a 20 inch imac. with that darn gpu. if it starts hitting 50 c it screws up. only the imac has really sufficient cooling so i suggest if you cant wait, a 21.5 inch imac with the radeon 4670 or wait for the update of the imac with the 320m. in all. nvidia m gpus, you should wait though amd is not that good either. i wish amd could give apple some gpu. AMD F T W !!

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I own a Current Gen Mac Mini right now and love it. 2.53GHz/4GB Ram and its nice. I have it hooked up to the TV and it plays iTunes HD content perfectly.

I am going to take it to work tho when Apple updates the Mac Mini. I am suspecting a update soon, possibly at or shortly after WWDC. Same as the MacBook I would presume.... 2.66GHz Default up to 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 and 4GB of Ram options, and the GeForce 320M 256MB.

And I will get one of those to replace the one I have now :D

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
There's a chance that they'll change the graphic card to nVidia 320M or 330M. And the nVidia 320M Is 50% Way better than nVidia 9400M [ By notebookcheck.net ] And the 330M Is better in 80%. So i really believe i should wait. If i plan to run games on it the games are gonna be like Age of Empires 3 or Sims 3...

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
Is there a possibility the mins will get a i3 or i5? Or is that not going to happen?

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
This is a copy of a post I made in a similar thread:

$Macuser$ said:
Like the other fellow said, wait until WWDC is over. Typically, I say buy it if you want it/don't wait, but with WWDC and several updates and introductions pending, it only makes sense to hold out a few days.

Regarding the processor, the argument that Apple doesn't want the Mac Mini to trump the 13" MBP is quite sound. In the past, I can't recall them ever releasing a consumer-level product that bested its pro line. They do often have consumer setups that are on par in some ways with the lower end Pro rigs (like the current Macbook 2.4 vs. MBP 2.4), and as such I'd say the most likely update to the Mini's CPU would be to offer the variants currently available in the 13" MBP (2.4 + 2.66). That said, I read a blog that stated a 90% chance of Mac Mini i5 + 320M at WWDC, but where that person was drawing their information from is anyone's guess.

Sticking with Core 2 Duo chips would jive with a 320 M update, as the i-line of processors require Intel's integrated graphics to be on board...and to the best of my knowledge, if Apple can't cram integrated plus nvidia in the 13" MBP, they probably can't do it in the Mac Mini.

So, rambling out of the way, this is my prediction for the Mac Mini: A WWDC update, bringing the specs to the following -- 2.4GHz C2D + 2GB Ram + 250 GB HDD + 320M = Low End. 2.66GHz C2D + 4GB Ram + 250 GB HDD + 320M = High End. HDMI, blu-ray, and all the other talked-about stuff is unlikely, unless Apple pulls a fast one and really gives the Mini a proper refresh.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Anyone think Mini could get a whole new design? The new cube? Perhaps the Macintosh? or just more phones,pods and pads:confused:
edit thanks floticalcube. didnt see it.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
My 14 day exchange period ends this coming tuesday so I'm crossing my fingers for a new mac mini with the nvidia 320m.

bsizz234

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
Assuming the mini is updated tomorrow (or Tuesday silent rollout... whatever), do people think they're still going to offer the mini server option? for some reason I'm concerned that they'll roll out new minis and kill the server. I don't even necessarily care about the 2nd HDD in place of the optical drive, I just want it to be preloaded with osx server...

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
...I'm concerned that they'll roll out new minis and kill the server. I don't even necessarily care about the 2nd HDD in place of the optical drive, I just want it to be preloaded with osx server...
For that reason, I just bought a mini server last week. Though I was well aware there could be a refresh announced today, frankly I could not foresee a reasonable upgrade scenario that would have been worth waiting for. A modest processor bump--yes. Increased RAM to say 8gb--possible, but not likely. Better graphics card--irrelevant. More HD capacity--also irrelevant for me since I use an external RAID case for my primary data storage. eSATA--not bloody likely!

Of more concern to me was the possibility that the Mini Server could be dropped. When you factor in the price of the included OS, it's a pretty sweet deal for a SOHO situation if OS X Server is what you want to run. In the worst case, if something really compelling is announced today, I'm still within my 14-day return window. :D

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
For that reason, I just bought a mini server last week. Though I was well aware there could be a refresh announced today, frankly I could not foresee a reasonable upgrade scenario that would have been worth waiting for. A modest processor bump--yes. Increased RAM to say 8gb--possible, but not likely. Better graphics card--irrelevant. More HD capacity--also irrelevant for me since I use an external RAID case for my primary data storage. eSATA--not bloody likely!:D

Oh well! Today's announcement makes me regret jumping the gun, but only a little. Actually, the only thing worth waiting for would have been the upgraded 7200 rpm drives, but I'm not at all dissatisfied with the speed of the old model--it certainly is capable of saturating my network. The new one sure is prettier, though, and what is great is that Apple 1) continues to support the Mini Server and 2) has kept the price the same. If you need OS X Server, this is not a bad deal!

EDIT: Holy crap!! I stand corrected, the price on the Mini Server stayed at USD 999.- in the USA, but here in Germany the price has jumped from EUR 950, which I paid, to EUR 1,150!!! I'm feeling better about buying the previous model.

Actually, one aspect of the new design that I don't like at all is the internal power supply. That will certainly put a lot more heat inside the case. The old model runs super-cool and whisper-quiet; it will be interesting to hear how the new model compares.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Nice to see they have updated it, although it depends on weather the increased price is worth it to you or not!?
signature_silverapple.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.