Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
I'm about to buy some RAM, but I can't figure out which model duel 2.0 ghz powermac g5 I have. Is there a way to get the model number of the machine, think its a number that starts with an "M". Also I read the guide about buying RAM and they recommend a few people. I just realized DMS is a lot cheaper than crucial.. any comments to that?

Ken

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
Your computer takes PC3200 184 pin ddr sdram. Crucial makes really nice ram, very robust and it always costs a few dollars more.

w0ngbr4d

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Findlay, OH
I just picked up a Corsair ValueRAM 2 GB kit (1GB x2) from newegg. Its cheaper than Crucial. Many would say that the quality is subpar, but I have yet to have problems with it.

-w0ngbr4d

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
What you need to know is whether you have a Dual Processor G5 <Oct. 19 2005, or a Dual Core G5 > Oct 19 2005

Dual Processors require PC3200 DDR DIMMs in pairs
Dual Core require DDR-2 533 MHZ DIMMs in pairs

You should be able to find the M####LL/A model number on the serial number plate on the back kof the machine.

DMS is a good choice in the USA.
Corsair does not guarantee compatibility of their Value Select series with Macs.

My recommendation is to buy from a reputable dealer who guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it does not work.

Thanks
Tervor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.