Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
In a few minutes, I might be the owner of nine G4 PowerMacs...

:eek: Eeeek!

I'm not going to be as rude to ask you how much those are costing, but out of interest is someone selling a job lot of them or are you buying them from seperate listings?

And another question, what do you intend to do with 9 of them? Keep some, sell some? Sounds exciting anyway.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220080735403

I was willing to pay up to £420 but they went for £485.

Would have been fun to fix them all up and sell them on. PC100/133 RAM is cheap, so shoving 1Gb in would have been easy enough. Replacing dodgy DVD drives is easy too. I figured I'd be able to make a small profit or at least break even. But paying more than £45 for each machine would have been silly - they have no keyboards, mice or power cords, I have no idea about what gfx cards they have, that sort of thing.

Would have given me something fun to do over the next few weeks.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220080735403

I was willing to pay up to £420 but they went for £485.

Would have been fun to fix them all up and sell them on. PC100/133 RAM is cheap, so shoving 1Gb in would have been easy enough. Replacing dodgy DVD drives is easy too. I figured I'd be able to make a small profit or at least break even. But paying more than £45 for each machine would have been silly - they have no keyboards, mice or power cords, I have no idea about what gfx cards they have, that sort of thing.

Would have given me something fun to do over the next few weeks.

Ahhh cool, I was considering doing exactly the same thing with a job lot of PC towers I found on eBay, but decided on saving the money. Sounds like a fun thing to do though.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I wouldn't have risked it with PCs!

eBay really irritates me. I was also looking at this auction and with six days left, some new user has bid it up to £150 already. Bleh.

Think I will abandon my G4 refurb plans and concentrate on finding a working BeBox or NeXT machine.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I wouldn't have risked it with PCs!

eBay really irritates me. I was also looking at this auction and with six days left, some new user has bid it up to £150 already. Bleh.

Think I will abandon my G4 refurb plans and concentrate on finding a working BeBox or NeXT machine.

I thought the PC's would spark a reaction around here :D I was going to "do up" PC's over Mac's because I have a greater knowledge of PC hardware and putting them together etc, I built my own aswell as my brothers so yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.