Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
There now seems to be absolutely zero customisation available for Notification Center:
  • No ability to choose between chronological ordering, or manual ordering of notifications
  • No ability to group notifications by app
  • No ability to limit the amount of notifications shown per app
Those were all features available in iOS 7, I think, and were stripped back across 8, 9, and now iOS 10 completely.

Yet I see reviewers praising improvements to Notification Center with each successive release. Am I correct in thinking there is now no way to achieve any customisation?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think, this is what Apple actually think about Notification Center. They just want it to show notifications. Nothing more. And now it is automatically grouped as app, but not recent...or intelligently? I don't know.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I think, this is what Apple actually think about Notification Center. They just want it to show notifications. Nothing more. And now it is automatically grouped as app, but not recent...or intelligently? I don't know.

Mine are not grouped by app, but rather by two types of grouping headers.
  • Missed (which I assume means they came in while my phone was unlocked, but i did not action them in any way) and:
  • Chronological order, in chronological grouping, e.g. Yesterday, Monday, Sunday etc.
If yours are indeed grouped by app, do you know how to go about achieving that? I can't find such a setting anywhere, though it used to exist, for sure.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mine are not grouped by app, but rather by two types of grouping headers.
  • Missed (which I assume means they came in while my phone was unlocked, but i did not action them in any way) and:
  • Chronological order, in chronological grouping, e.g. Yesterday, Monday, Sunday etc.
If yours are indeed grouped by app, do you know how to go about achieving that? I can't find such a setting anywhere, though it used to exist, for sure.
Mine automatically groups notifications based on both app and time. I also cannot find any setting on how it groups. Sounds like an intelligently completed behavior.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Mine automatically groups notifications based on both app and time. I also cannot find any setting on how it groups. Sounds like an intelligently completed behavior.

Thank you for taking a look. It makes much more sense that it should be behaving as it is for you. Hopefully mine will sort itself out.

cornycopier

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
I REALLY hope they'll put the TODAY view back in at some point. Right back at the top where it was. Date, what's next on the calendar, traffic, time to predicted destination was very good info to have at a glance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There now seems to be absolutely zero customisation available for Notification Center:
  • No ability to choose between chronological ordering, or manual ordering of notifications
  • No ability to group notifications by app
  • No ability to limit the amount of notifications shown per app
Those were all features available in iOS 7, I think, and were stripped back across 8, 9, and now iOS 10 completely.

Yet I see reviewers praising improvements to Notification Center with each successive release. Am I correct in thinking there is now no way to achieve any customisation?
They took away the last one in iOS 9 I believe, but added more of the sorting and organizing options part of the first two items that weren't there in iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.