Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
I downloaded the latest version of Absinthe 2.0.4 to jailbreak my iPad 2. I can't get past the 1st part which says "Plug in your iDevice to begin."

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

rponticelli

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
I took a couple of minutes to register my iPad 3rd generation. I used 2.0.4 as well. Also have you tried opening absinthe will connected or visa versa, different USB slots or a different cord. All are helpful troubleshooters. Good luck. :D

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes iTunes recognizes the iPad and I tried a different USB cable and different ports. Tried opening absinthe with it plugged in. Also plugged it in and waited a long time to see if it'd get recognized. All to no avail.

Also deleted and redownloaded absinthe. Any other suggestions out there or has anyone run into this problem?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes iTunes recognizes the iPad and I tried a different USB cable and different ports. Tried opening absinthe with it plugged in. Also plugged it in and waited a long time to see if it'd get recognized. All to no avail.

Also deleted and redownloaded absinthe. Any other suggestions out there or has anyone run into this problem?

Could you try on a diff. Computer?
Did you get the download from greenpois0n.com?
And are you on iOS 5.1.1?

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Was able to jailbreak using another computer. Weird but thanks for the suggestions.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I am having this issue with my iPhone 4. I have tried switching cables, usb ports, restarting, redownloading and have had no luck. I don't have another computer available for jailbreaking. Anyone else know a solution?

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Actually I wasn't able to jailbreak yet. I got absinthe to recognize both my iPad 2 and new iPad. The process would get to the very end, but then say something like "oops. Something must have happened and your device is not jailbroken. Please retry."

I retried both devices several times and kept getting the same error. Any more suggestions?

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
What happens if you;

Restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes, and choose to setup as a new iPad.

Then run Absinthe...

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Same error pops up when I set up as new iPad. :mad:

Tell me about your computer, again?
Are you redownloading Absinthe and expanding it before each failed attempt? Or are you just reruning the failed program over and over? Does your PC have at least 1 GB of RAM? What kind of antiVirus program are you running? Are you running Absinthe as an Administrator, or with Administrator rights...

I've jailbroken my iPad 3 at least 4 times now ;) (because I like to experiment with it) and 2 different iPhone 4, and I've never had issues with Absinthe on my PC with windows 7 64 bit...

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Tell me about your computer, again?
Are you redownloading Absinthe and expanding it before each failed attempt? Or are you just reruning the failed program over and over? Does your PC have at least 1 GB of RAM? What kind of antiVirus program are you running? Are you running Absinthe as an Administrator, or with Administrator rights...

I've jailbroken my iPad 3 at least 4 times now ;) (because I like to experiment with it) and 2 different iPhone 4, and I've never had issues with Absinthe on my PC with windows 7 64 bit...

I have a late 2008 macbook pro. I redownloaded Absinthe a couple of times to make sure I had the right version and everything. I have at least 1gb of ram. No antivirus programs. It's my computer so I have admin rights.

I'll try some other computers later this week.

Jblightning

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
'Merica
try re-extracting the original download of absinthe and then proceeding as you would normally from there, so far this has worked for me :D

vhvh

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
the firewall may be blocking the absinthe application or lack of internet connection.

DbrunsonRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
I think I can help you.

Go to Control Panel/Administrative tools/Services, then go to Apple movile devices and press "stop". After that you can run Absinthe. Remember restart the service.

PS: Hopefully you will excuse my level of English.
PSII: Yes, you must use windows. :rolleyes:

Este es mi blog para aprender a ganar al poker gratis.

Last edited:

RLevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
Still can't get Absinthe to recognize my iPad

I've tried using all the things people have mentioned and not having any luck. I'm using an HP laptop running Windoze 7 trying to jailbreak an iPad 3. I cannot get Absinthe to recognize that the iPad is connected and allow me to hit the jailbreak button. I've tried rebooting my computer, rebooting the iPad, rebooting my computer in safe mode, rebooting my computer in safe mode with networking, I've reset the iPad how many times ... idk, lost count when I ran out of fingers. Any suggestions?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Have you tried using another usb cable, computer or possibly another account on your pc? Using the latest version of Absinthe?

RLevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
Have you tried using another usb cable, computer or possibly another account on your pc? Using the latest version of Absinthe?

The computer reconizes the iPad, it makes a sound and I can view it in the "My Computer" Explorer window. So I know it's not the USB cable. I am using Absinthe 2.0.4, just downloaded yesterday. Only thing I haven't tried is another computer. Any other ideas or is that my last resort? :confused:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Try redsn0w. I'm pretty sure when it was updated with the rocky racoon untether it added support for the iPad.

RLevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
I'm a noob

To fix the problem with absinthe not recognizing your IDevice have to turn on "Apple mobile device service" AMDS. Once you get AMDS working again. Absinthe will work. You can either reinstall Itunes or start AMDS http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567

I feel like such a noobie now. This is my first iDevice and I didn't even know to have iTunes on my PC. As soon as I downloaded it, Absinthe worked perfectly. Thanks for all your help guys. :eek:

Anglodude

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I Want to clarify something

I know I shouldn't be asking about this here, but I have tried using the the rev tethered jailbreak but when I try to connect my device, it just keeps saying Plug In Your Device to begin, The device is an iPad 1st Gen, iOS 5.1.1 and I am using an acer aspire one netbook! thx Guys, Ur all awesome:eek::D

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I know I shouldn't be asking about this here, but I have tried using the the rev tethered jailbreak but when I try to connect my device, it just keeps saying Plug In Your Device to begin, The device is an iPad 1st Gen, iOS 5.1.1 and I am using an acer aspire one netbook! thx Guys, Ur all awesome:eek::D

What new revised tethered jailbreak ?
For an iPad1 on 5.1.1 you should be using Absinthe 2.0.4 (or you could use Redsn0w) which is an untethered jailbreak

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

I now notice the greenpois0n website is down. Here's a link to the download (obtained from idownloadblog's download page so they may or may not have reuploaded it): https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-win-2.0.4.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.