Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thought this might be apt as the deluge of iPhones hits the world today. The only update I would add is that there is already a tethered but complicated jailbreak for A4 and older devices out there, but it is very un-official.

http://absinthejailbreak.org/jailbreak-ios-6-status/

1st Group (A4-devices) – Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod touch 4G:

Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod touch 4G is the simplest step that will be handled very soon. For who don’t know that A4 devices can be jailbroken with the help of Geohot’s bootrom exploit the found on 2010. What we expect that iPhone dev-team will release new version of Redsn0w for Windows and Mac to bring compatibility with iOS 6, this may be released within few hours to days.

2nd Group (A5x-devices) – Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and iPad 2:

As usual, iPhone dream team will start their hard work to find a hole on A5 devices then upgrade Absinthe Jailbreak to inject jailbreak to iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and iPad 2. Jailbreaking such devices is not the sort of thing that can be developed overnight this may take weeks.

3rd Group (A6-devices) – Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone 5:

Actually this is the biggest challenge for all hackers, actually we need the famous and genius hacker Geohot. But anyway, iPhone 5 is being shipped to hackers, when they got it on their hands we will feed you back with the situation.

Recommendation:

Jailbreakers should stay away from iOS 6 until finding solution for jailbreaking iOS 6.
Unlockers (Gevey SIM, Ultrasn0w, or what ever) MUST stay away from updating to iOS 6

tehreflex

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Interesting.

Especially the 'needs geohot' line. Also this is not one of the dev teams sites so take this info with a grain of salt.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is true, but Absynthe is a pretty big player, and I think their thinking is pretty rational. I, for one, will be watching to see how the jailbreak for the iPhone 4 works out.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Well with chpwn twit last afternoon it seems things look nice for the iPhone 5.
Since I'm skipping the iPhone5/iPad4 altogether, I expect to be running iOS6 on my A5* devices pretty soon.

The nice thing is that with every new iteration of iOS new things get added and the need for jailbreak lowers (e.g Photo attachments on mail app!!!), of course, I don't know if I could live without my iFile/Activator/Springtomize at the very least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.