Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys!

Alright, so I've completely had it with iOS and Facebook. For two years now since updating to iOS 5 I have never had one notification from the Facebook accompanied with sound or a vibration. It just appears on the home screen or on the top of the screen.

I've tried everything possible for two years now, and even buying a new iPad hasn't fixed this issue. Sound is enabled in Notifications Centre, and on the Facebook app. Everything is set to allow sound and vibration.

The Messenger app has sound with it's notifications by the way, so I'm so freeking confused.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, I'll be the most grateful person in the world.

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
Dude I'm in the same boat as you, I like to have a sound accompanying my notification but for some reason you and I are the only ones it seems like. Maybe one day it'll be fixed until then we can keep dreaming.

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
Dude I'm in the same boat as you, I like to have a sound accompanying my notification but for some reason you and I are the only ones it seems like. Maybe one day it'll be fixed until then we can keep dreaming.

Seriously there is no logic to this bug, and there is no method on the internet that actually fixes it! :(

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I'm another who's got this issue. It started seemingly at random one day a few months ago and has been silent, with no vibrate, ever since. It's quite annoying as I often miss messages (I don't like the Messenger app as the exact same thing is integrated into the main app).

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
I've tried deleting and re-installing, I've tried setting my phone up from new and installing it. Very rarely if someone tags me I'll get a sound but that's it.
While I had my short stint with a S3 all notification sounds worked which was great.
Even Instagram had sounds which I've never had on my iPhone. Surely they can work on fixing the sounds before adding more crap we don't need to the app.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Facebook took out sound notifications a loooong time ago, like around the time iOS 5 came out. I haven't had them in years nor has anyone I know.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Every once in awhile I get a little buzz with a notification, but it may be just on messages. Other notifications are hit or miss as to whether they even appear on the screen. As a matter of fact, I remember working from home one day last month and my phone was blowing up with a couple of threads that were going on. Last night there was another thread that had a lot of activity and there wasn't a thing on my screen this morning.

Face it, FB has a ton of bugs and it just gets worse, not better. I'm not even sure what version I'm on. I updated once or twice after they removed the rotation and I'm afraid to "upgrade" again. I have a hard time typing in portrait with the cover I have.

errant

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I used to find it annoying. Now it's probably a relief to not have my phone dinging at me all day for stupid reasons.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
All my friends have sound but myself and one other mate, so I'm sure it's a bug.
Yeah, it's definitely a bug. I'll occasionally get sound/vibrate on a random notification (maybe 1 out of 50 notifications), but then it goes back to silent.

I remember there was a large thread on the FB community forum, but it disappeared. They said they were looking into the issue but nothing so far. It seems like they simply don't care.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I think its an iOS bug. It used to play sounds for me until iOS6. Occasionally, maybe a couple times a month, I will hear the sound. I have sounds enabled in the Notification options so it should at least use the default tri-tone that it has in the past.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
All my friends have sound but myself and one other mate, so I'm sure it's a bug.

Are they on both the latest version of iOS and they're on the latest version of Facebook, because I don't know anyone who has updated Facebook and still gets sounds.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I got two messages today that gave me sound. It's a very anemic sound with a vibrate. But I got other messages that didn't even show up on the phone. None of my other notifications today made noise.

I'm on the latest iOS 6 but an older FB app. I don't use the app on the ipad, I go right to the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.