Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I wasn’t sure if regular MR members were allowed to start these discussion threads, but there wasn’t one for Acapulco yet. So here goes.

I’ve watched all three episodes that have been released. It’s cute and heartwarming. The characters aren’t cliché, but I seem to care about them. Seems like even the ones you’re supposed to dislike, have redeeming qualities too.

The present day scenes with Maximo and his nephew have a Princess Bride or HIMYM feel to it.

Maybe it just me on an 80’s nostalgia kick and enjoying everything that flashes back to the 80’s. This show has there nostalgia with a Mexican flavor. Loving the songs in Spanish.

Anyone digging this show?

Reactions: Jxdawg

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I really enjoy the kinds of stories that start off at the ending, and the story is filled in as the viewer progresses.

We know that Maximo ends up a huge success, but we don't know how he got there. The plot getting progressed by present day Max telling his nephew his rag-to-riches story is a fun way to tell a story. We get to go along for the ride.

I'm enjoying the character development in the few episodes that have been released. Even Chad is deeper than he seemed to be in the beginning, with the way we was going to defend Julia's honor at the dinner. Don Pablo's character as the "old, wise man that has seen it all" may seem cliche, but I'm wanting to find out more about his back-story.

I'm hoping this show catches on and gets a couple of seasons, as it's unlikely that they'll be able to flesh out all of the deserving characters in just one season.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
I saw the announcement of this show a few days ago and deceided to tryt out, not sure if I would like it. But after the first episode I was hooked, I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: ftaok

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I saw the announcement of this show a few days ago and deceided to tryt out, not sure if I would like it. But after the first episode I was hooked, I really enjoyed it.
It’s kinda cliche and predictable, but then a character will do something unpredictable (but not out of character) and it’ll be cute or sweet. It’s just a show that makes me feel good when I watch it. Sometimes you just want a show that entertains you that way.

Reactions: Alwis

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Love this show. Vaguely reminds of Ted Lasso where small acts of kindness and generosity are the main star rather than the actual plots which can occasionally veer towards the predictable.

Reactions: ftaok

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Another excellent episode this week.

I love how they portray the diversity in attitudes among the guests. Some guests are uber-privileged and rude. While others are uber-privileged and kind.

Like Becca's parents .. while being obscenely rich, they were very respectful of Maximo. In contrast to the Fashion guy who was just a jerk.

Maximo's dream date with Becca was fun and an important turning point in his life (as mentioned by present day Maximo). Also, the ending where Max and Memo are staring at the ocean, eating shrimp cocktail, with "The Boys are Back in Town" has meaning. I'm thinking this is where he makes his move with Julia. He has new-found confidence and Chad **** the bed with his weekend date.

Memo got some well-deserved development too. It was as obvious as a hammer to the face, but in the beginning of the episode, no one knows his name (even the security guard who is also named Memo). But at the end, his heroics (assist to Hector) turns everything and everyone knows his name.

Lastly, is it just me, or does Lupe crack you up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alwis

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I don't think this is actually a good show, but I do enjoy the show for the most part as it's a great escape. And in today's modern world I wish more TV shows were the same.

It's just a good fun show. A guilty pleasure. Some of the 2nd season was a bit tough to get through especially when it came to the sister's arc, but the first season was a blast.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I don't think this is actually a good show, but I do enjoy the show for the most part as it's a great escape. And in today's modern world I wish more TV shows were the same.

It's just a good fun show. A guilty pleasure. Some of the 2nd season was a bit tough to get through especially when it came to the sister's arc, but the first season was a blast.

So, you watch it, and you enjoy it, consider it a "great escape", and wish more shows were "the same", but you don't think it's a good show... got it...

Reactions: Eric Idle

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
So, you watch it, and you enjoy it, consider it a "great escape", and wish more shows were "the same", but you don't think it's a good show... got it...
Yeah. It's complicated. Maybe I was a bit 'arsh. As I said, it's a guilty pleasure as I love almost anything set in the 80s and/or at a beach location and will generally overlook weak points. This show is shot really well and has a great concept, yet at the same time I feel the storylines mostly aren't clever or well done. But what it has in bucketloads is atmosphere and a great sense of fun.

Reactions: Jxdawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.