Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
I look to upgrade my iMac 27 for a Mac Studio with 2to ssd, but I will probably wait for the M3. In the meantime, I bought two 2TB WS_Black SN850X SSDs for my future setup (one for video editing and one for current files).

I bought an Acasis TBU405 PROM1 enclosure (with built-in fan). It seems to work well and I get an average speed of 2700 MB/S which is good. However, I have an operating problem:

With my other HDDs connected, I usually mount the disks that I use from time to time (backup, storage, image bank) and when I'm finished to use it I unmount them and they turn off automatically. I tried to do the same thing with my SSD with Acasis enclosure. I unmount it and close the button on the enclosure (this turns off the fan) but then the disk becomes super hot, it's like if it continues to be active. It does the same thing when the Mac is asleep (I work 5-6 hours on my Mac per day, the rest of the time it is asleep). I don't want to leave the fan running 24 hours a day for weeks (I don't edit video every week, so I would like to unmount the disk when it's not in use). And the disk for my current files, it must not stay super hot 24 hours a day, it must shut down when the mac is asleep.

How can I solve this problem without having to plug and unplug the Thunderbolt cable every time ? Are there Thunderbolt enclosures with on/off switch ?

Reactions: picpicmac

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
Anyone have an idea about this ? It is normal for a ssd to become hot when the Mac sleep ?

Not sure - I ordered one of those enclosures and it's on the way here. I also have the no fan TBU401 - which was running a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro (until it went bad) - so I replaced it with the 2TB Nextorage G series. It's currently barely even warm! (No stress just browsing - but I use it as my boot drive currently) I can't say how warm it gets during intensive editing - but I've never once seen it become hot.

Reactions: picpicmac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unplug the drive (from the Mac) or (if it has a power switch), turn off the power.
Do this, and I GUARANTEE that it will not "run hot"...
(this is intended to be a serious reply...)

Alain Ternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
Unplug the drive (from the Mac) or (if it has a power switch), turn off the power.
Do this, and I GUARANTEE that it will not "run hot"...
(this is intended to be a serious reply...)
This is the ultimate solution, but I would like to avoid to plug and unplug 2-3 ssd all time... I would like to know if it's normal for an SSD to continue to be hot when the mac is sleeping or when it's unmounted, that doesn't seem normal to me !?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.