Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I booted my Mac Studio from my Acasis TBU401 + Samsung 980 Pro, got a message of an index problem and then a black screen. Upon restart the ssd is no more recognized, nor in the finder nor in disk utility. The SSD is only six months old. Is there anything I can do?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I booted my Mac Studio from my Acasis TBU401 + Samsung 980 Pro, got a message of an index problem and then a black screen. Upon restart the ssd is no more recognized, nor in the finder nor in disk utility. The SSD is only six months old. Is there anything I can do?
Samsung 980 Pros had an issue with a particular firmware version that would lead to failure. If yours was on that version it likely needs to be replaced. Samsung Issues Fix for Dying 980 Pro SSDs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
Even if it was on a different version, the drive may have failed and may still need warranty replacement. Does it show up at all in Disk Utility if you've selected the "Show all devices" option from the view menu?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
It isn't the SSD that is defective. It's the Acasis enclosure. I have put another SSD in the enclosure and the Acasis TBU401 isn't recognised. (the green light is off).
This firmware update, is this possible on an Mac computer or do I need a Windows PC?
I have Parallels.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you think it's the enclosure -- and NOT the Samsung drive -- then get ANOTHER enclosure and see if the Samsung works in that one.

I wouldn't "fool with the firmware" of the Samsung until I had tried it with at least one other "known good" enclosure...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It isn't the SSD that is defective. It's the Acasis enclosure. I have put another SSD in the enclosure and the Acasis TBU401 isn't recognised. (the green light is off).
This firmware update, is this possible on an Mac computer or do I need a Windows PC?
I have Parallels.
As far as I know the Mac version of Samsung Magician won't do firmware updates but it's worth a try. You cannot use Parallels to do the updates. I have used Thunderbolt and Boot Camp on an older Intel Mac to do Samsung NVMe firmware updates but USB won't work either.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If both drives work in the second enclosure, then get another copy of that one, and use it for the drives.

Put the Acasis enclosure in a drawer...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.