Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loztheguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I want to be able to swap files (music etc) between my OS X and my windows partition, so that when i boot up into XP i can access them. However, I cannot write to the drive as I have read-only permissions. Anyone know of a way of changing this?

Im sure its a quick and easy fix ive just not managed to discover it.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
In order for OSX to access the XP partition, the XP partition has to be formated in FAT32 I belive. To fix it, I think you will have to reinstall Windows and format the partition through the Windows installer.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Just to add as well, you can't access the OS X partition from Windows. Not that I know of anyway, perhaps there's a tool out somewhere that will let you.

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Alternatively, you could install MacDrive on XP which will allow you to read and write to your OSX partition through Windows.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Is there any enterprising C++ programmer out there who wants to try to port ntfs-3g to OS X?

I've been using it on my dual boot XP/Linux laptop recently, and it gives me full NTFS read/write support.

loztheguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I did consider that, but theres stuff on the windows drive that I need in OS X, so its not really an option. For example, my desktop background folder is located on the windows drive, and so being able to add to it from both XP and OS X would be useful. Anyone know of a way round this?

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
loztheguru said:
I did consider that, but theres stuff on the windows drive that I need in OS X, so its not really an option. For example, my desktop background folder is located on the windows drive, and so being able to add to it from both XP and OS X would be useful. Anyone know of a way round this?
I believe the only way would be to reformat with FAT32.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
If you do decide to reformat to FAT32, you should know that it doesn't support files over 4GB in size and that the directory structure is much easier to corrupt after a crash. The best way to ensure easy transferring of files between your mac and windows partitions is to be running XP through Parallels, which lets you access the mac partition as a folder inside of windows.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I should go try this, but I'm not near my iMac now.

You should be able to read/write an NTFS file system from within Parallels, giving you RW access while booted to OS X.

ntfs-3g as suggested by plinden sounds like a real huge step forward in NTFS support under non-MS OSes. I wonder if there is a userland version of it, kind of like the ext3 browsers that have existed for Windows? I can't wait to see what happens to it.

B

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Osarkon said:
Just to add as well, you can't access the OS X partition from Windows. Not that I know of anyway, perhaps there's a tool out somewhere that will let you.

HFS support in Windows = MediaFour MacDrive :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.