Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
Hi guys,

My iMac was running Open Core Legacy Patcher (Ventura), but the GPU broke, so I removed the HD and put it in an external case. The issue is that I can't access the HD on my MacBook Air or on a Windows notebook. Does anyone know how I can recover my data from this OCLP HD?

Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I can't access the HD on my MacBook Air
What is the model and year of your MBA and what version of macOS is installed? Depending on the version of macOS, your system may not understand how to mount the Monterey APFS volumes on your iMac HDD.

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
What is the model and year of your MBA and what version of macOS is installed? Depending on the version of macOS, your system may not understand how to mount the Monterey APFS volumes on your iMac HDD.
Hi,

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) and Monterrey 12.7.1.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Assuming you have installed the HDD in a USB enclosure and it's attached to your MBA...

On your MBA, open Disk Utility. In menu, select.. View > Show All Devices. Screenshot and post. Alternatively, open Terminal and type "diskutil list" and post the output using CODE formatting.

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
Assuming you have installed the HDD in a USB enclosure and it's attached to your MBA...

On your MBA, open Disk Utility. In menu, select.. View > Show All Devices. Screenshot and post. Alternatively, open Terminal and type "diskutil list" and post the output using CODE formatting.
HD is showing, but not mount.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 19.38.01.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 19.38.01.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 21.21.49.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 21.21.49.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 24

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) and Monterrey 12.7.1.
Did this iMac boot from just the HDD, or was it a Fusion disk (small onboard SSD + HDD)?

1.8TB seems like an odd size for a 4TB disk. We are only getting part of the story.

Please do a diskutil list. Failing that, in Disk Utility, enable View > Show All Devices (as requested by @Bigwaff)

Don't do anything that might write to the disk. I say this in case you need to use a professional recovery service. I assume you don't have a backup.

Last edited:

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
Did this iMac boot from just the HDD, or was it a Fusion disk (small onboard SSD + HDD)?

1.8TB seems like an odd size for a 4TB disk. We are only getting part of the story.

Please do a diskutil list. Failing that, in Disk Utility, enable View > Show All Devices (as requested by @Bigwaff)

Don't do anything that might write to the disk. I say this in case you need to use a professional recovery service. I assume you don't have a backup.
ST4000 is the HD with issue (4TB total, and 1.8TB free, probably 2.2TB is in using). I can see nothing from this HD, and my data is there. I don't know if OpenCore created any partition that can't access by another mac or another OS. I don't have backup. I was waiting new HD for that, and I received 2 days after my iMac died.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 09.53.07.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 09.53.07.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 25

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I suspect this HDD was part of a Fusion Drive formatted HFS+ in your iMac. If this is the situation, you need both the SSD + HDD from your iMac in order to recover files. Plus you will need specialized disk file recovery software or use a professional data recovery service.

Reactions: gilby101

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
I suspect this HDD was part of a Fusion Drive formatted HFS+ in your iMac. If this is the situation, you need both the SSD + HDD from your iMac in order to recover files. Plus you will need specialized disk file recovery software or use a professional data recovery service.
What does "from your iMac in order" mean?

I'm trying out Data Rescue software for recovery, but it's taking longer than I expected.

Do you believe that OpenCore has anything to do with this issue?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

doubledrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
You still haven't definitively said whether your iMac storage was a Fusion Drive (SSD + HDD combo) or HDD alone.
ST4000DX is the model (Disk Utility Information). I found different information about it. One mentions Hybrid, and another mentions only SATA. To me, it's simply a regular HDD. I can't check physically because Data Rescue is currently running on it.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I can't check physically because Data Rescue is currently running on it.
The Fusion Drive component SSD and HDD are installed separately in the iMac. Fusion Drive is a software layer which makes the two separate components appear as single storage device to macOS. You would have to look at your iMac.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do you believe that OpenCore has anything to do with this issue?
No.

But you still haven't said if this was part of a Fusion Drive or not. That would certainly cause problems.

And I still think the reported size is odd. 1.8TB partition with 4TB free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.