Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nocxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
My MacBook Pro 2015 13" stopped booting. My last backup is too old so I bought and OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure to retrieved data.

The only other Apple machine that I can use is an iMac 27" 2012. I put my disk in the enclosure and plugged it to the iMac. However, I can't see the files. In "disk utility", I have 3 new partitions: "disk3s5", "Macintosh HD - Data" and "Update". The first one is always greyed. In the Finder I can only see the files from the partition named "Update". If I try to access the main partition, it doesn't stop loading.

I tried to edit "/etc/fstab" with "UUID=my_uuid none apfs rw,noauto 0 0" but nothing changed. I also tried "defaults write com.apple.frameworks.diskimages skip-verify YES".

What should I do to see the files?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The only other Apple machine that I can use is an iMac 27" 2012. I put my disk in the enclosure and plugged it to the iMac. However, I can't see the files."

Important questions:
What version of the OS is on the 2015 MacBook Pro?
What version of the OS is on the 2012 iMac?

If the iMac has an older version of the OS and the MBP has a newer one, the older OS may not be able to properly "read" the drive.

Will the MBP still boot to INTERNET recovery?
This is NOT THE SAME as the "recovery partition".

Try command-OPTION-R at boot.
You'll need your wifi password, and it will take time for the utilities to load.
Does this work?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Your external drive is probably formatted as APFS. The only way you will be able to see those files on your iMac is if you upgrade it to macOS High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina. I would recommend going to Catalina, since it's the latest version that runs on your iMac.

Nocxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
"The only other Apple machine that I can use is an iMac 27" 2012. I put my disk in the enclosure and plugged it to the iMac. However, I can't see the files."

Important questions:
What version of the OS is on the 2015 MacBook Pro?
What version of the OS is on the 2012 iMac?

If the iMac has an older version of the OS and the MBP has a newer one, the older OS may not be able to properly "read" the drive.

Will the MBP still boot to INTERNET recovery?
This is NOT THE SAME as the "recovery partition".

Try command-OPTION-R at boot.
You'll need your wifi password, and it will take time for the utilities to load.
Does this work?

There is Big Sur on the MBP and Catalina on the iMac.

What's the difference between these approaches and what do you mean by "does this work?"? What am I supposed to see? I don't see the 4 items that I see in the "normal" recovery mode: "Restore from Time Machine", "Reinstall macOS Big Sur", "Safari" and "Disk Utility". It keeps checking the volumes.

Erratum: I see the exact same 4 items.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.