Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Not only is it legal, I would imagine that Apple would like it. That way you don't HAVE to download iTunes, but you can still browse the library and find songs that you may want to buy later when you have iTunes, say browse at work and buy at home.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I think requests to iTMS have to be encrypted with a special key which is hard coded in iTunes. This is how Apple prevents programs other than iTunes connecting to the iTMS.

However some time ago there was a story about someone who found the key, so I guess this site is based on that. I don't think using a someone else's public key is illegal but Apple probably don't like it. Basically this web server impersonates the iTunes program to allow it to connect.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
stoid said:
Not only is it legal, I would imagine that Apple would like it. That way you don't HAVE to download iTunes, but you can still browse the library and find songs that you may want to buy later when you have iTunes, say browse at work and buy at home.

If Apple would like it, they would have done it themselves! I guess the reason Apple demand you browse the iTMS through iTunes is so they can control the user experience (sounds familiar! :p ), this hack prevents that but it's good for people who can't be bothered to download the iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.