Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
In my home network I have troubles with accessing all the functions from my Time Capsule while being connected to a different wifi access point on the network.

My current situation is a modem (ISP) that connects by cable to one repeater (Fritz Repeater) in my work room and a Time Capsule in the living room. While I'm connected with my Mac Mini to the Wifi Repeater I cannot access the Time Capsule to use Time Machine or use my TV (connected by cable to the Time Capsule) as an AirPlay monitor. The distance from my Mac mini to the Time Capsule is too far, therefore connecting to the wifi of the Time Capsule is no option unfortunately.

Is there any way to access the functions of the Time Capsule while connected to a different wifi on the same network?

Thanks in advance!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
How is the time capsule configured? Is it wired to something? I suspect the problem is you have two wifi networks with identical names that aren’t actually connected. Ideally you would disable the wifi on the time capsule and access it over its wired interface.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
The Time Capsule and the access point are connected to the modem by wire. Both the Time Capsule and access point provide wifi (different SSID's, separate SSID for 5GHz networks) to provide wifi coverage in our appartment. Therefore we cannot disable the wifi-functions on the Time Capsule.

My Mac Mini is connected by wifi to the access point and cannot access the backup functions and / or use AirPlay on the television connected to the Time Capsule.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
where is the router in this setup? Which device is giving out DHCP addresses? How is the TM configured? If you’re using it as a wifi AP, it is likely giving out its own IPs, can you confirm? If you have two different wireless networks, you need two different address spaces and routes between them.

What I would do is get the modem out of the equation by setting it to bridged mode. Then connect whatever router you have to that. Then plug the other wifi devices into the the router’s switch ports. Now you have a single authoritative gateway and dhcp server, and you have networked the two wifi APs. Make sure you set your TM to bridged mode as well, see here.
Now when you join either wifi network (regular or TM) you should be able to reach all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.