Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cblackburn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
London, UK
Hi all,

Can anyone here hook me up with VNC/SSH access to an Intel Development box?? I'm interested in seeing if I can get wine working, and therefore have windows apps running natively on OSX.

On that note, why doesn't apple have 50-100 development boxes on the net for ADC members to mess around with. It would be an easy and cheap way to get the technology out to the people, like the testdrive system HP runs.

Chris

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
cblackburn said:
On that note, why doesn't apple have 50-100 development boxes on the net for ADC members to mess around with. It would be an easy and cheap way to get the technology out to the people, like the testdrive system HP runs.

Because I doubt Apple would want to give lots of ADC members the opportunity to screw up machines that the Apple engineers would then have to sort out.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
cblackburn said:
Hi all,

Can anyone here hook me up with VNC/SSH access to an Intel Development box?? I'm interested in seeing if I can get wine working, and therefore have windows apps running natively on OSX.

Chris

If you seriously think you are capable of doing that, buy a dev box for $999. You could make that back in no time and it would be really fun to play with.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
ITASOR said:
If you seriously think you are capable of doing that, buy a dev box for $999. You could make that back in no time and it would be really fun to play with.

I wanted to do the same thing, but WINE is not a commercial project, so alas there is no money involved.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
savar said:
I wanted to do the same thing, but WINE is not a commercial project, so alas there is no money involved.

Under some circumstances, you *can* charge for Wine-based products:

An example

I don't understand the specifics of the agreement between the Wine team and the Crossover team. I know that CodeWeavers contributes code back to Wine, and that they are generally regarded positively by the Wine OSS developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.