Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Is there a way to make an inaccessible desktop (belonging to a screen which isn't turned on) available again to the screen you have available?

Let me explain:
I have a MacBook attached to a TV and have dragged browser windows, iTunes video player windows or what have you over to the TV. But if I later turn on the Mac, but not the TV and use those same apps again (i.e. the web browser) the computer has everything on the TV from last time meaning I just don't have the browser window from last time on my laptop screen.

Is there a way I can drag the window(s) on the TV over to the laptop screen without first turning on the TV?

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
In SystemPrefences Check Monitor settings and turn on/off mirroring

Remove physical connection to external monitor

Restart machine without external monitor connected

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Ah! I forgot about the mirroring setting.
I also forgot to say that I wanted to do this without disconnecting the cable to the TV every time (this is what I've done so far to solve this issue).
I'll give the mirroring on/off setting a go next time.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I'm getting this right after having tried out the following (with the TV always physically connected to my Mac):
I first start up my Macbook.

1) I turn on the TV and select the correct input (so it displays the Mac output).
Next I go to iTunes, select a video, drag it over to the TV and choose to display it full-size. Great for watching videos on a big screen!

2) then i turn off the TV. Here's where my problems start!
The video is still on the TV, even though the TV is turned off. Obviously I can't move the mouse-pointer over to the TV screen and drag it back to the Macbook screen as I can't see where the mouse-pointer is. I was hoping perhaps for a keyboard shortcut for moving it back to the Macbook.

OK..... I think you may be on to something here (having further tried to find a solution)...
While in iTunes I open the "Displays" system preference I go to the "Arrangement" tab, then enable on "Mirror displays".
All of a sudden everything on the Macbook screen becomes very small, but now I can also see the video player window.
It doesn't help to grab it and move it around because it disappears again (I assume moves over to the TV) if I disable "Video mirror displays", but this seems to work:
a) after enabling "Mirror displays", close the video player window (press its upper left hand corner red button)
b) disable "Mirror displays" again. This will show everything on the Macbook screen in its correct size again.
c) if I now start playing the video again it will show it on the Macbook screen.
And I still haven't messed up the ability to use the TV when I need to do that
:)

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I'm getting this right after having tried out the following (with the TV always physically connected to my Mac):
I first start up my Macbook.

1) I turn on the TV and select the correct input (so it displays the Mac output).
Next I go to iTunes, select a video, drag it over to the TV and choose to display it full-size. Great for watching videos on a big screen!

2) then i turn off the TV. Here's where my problems start!
The video is still on the TV, even though the TV is turned off. Obviously I can't move the mouse-pointer over to the TV screen and drag it back to the Macbook screen as I can't see where the mouse-pointer is. I was hoping perhaps for a keyboard shortcut for moving it back to the Macbook.

OK..... I think you may be on to something here (having further tried to find a solution)...
While in iTunes I open the "Displays" system preference I go to the "Arrangement" tab, then enable on "Mirror displays".
All of a sudden everything on the Macbook screen becomes very small, but now I can also see the video player window.
It doesn't help to grab it and move it around because it disappears again (I assume moves over to the TV) if I disable "Video mirror displays", but this seems to work:
a) after enabling "Mirror displays", close the video player window (press its upper left hand corner red button)
b) disable "Mirror displays" again. This will show everything on the Macbook screen in its correct size again.
c) if I now start playing the video again it will show it on the Macbook screen.

And I still haven't messed up the ability to use the TV when I need to do that :)
@Resolution: everything getting small on the main screen as expected since the smaller laptop screen matches the larger resolution on the external display.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I noticed :)
But at least it's big enough to "catch" with the mouse pointer and close. And an added bonus to all of this is that I don't have to unplug the Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt connector all the time (causing unnecessary tear and wear).

Maybe I could create an Applescript or something to highlight and close any open windows on the 2nd display (TV) so I can restart the app in question and get it to display just on the computer screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.