Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have an external usb drive I use for my Plex media. I have this set up as a shared folder so I can access it from the likes of my iPad to manage content. This worked fine for me using the likes of the FileBrowser app in the past but I haven't accessed it for a few weeks. I thought I would try it last night using the Files app in iPadOS. I can add my Mac via SMB and access all the local drives but when I try to access my external drive, it tells me I need to authenticate and offers me a link to open an app which doesn’t do anything, the link appears dead. I then tried using FileBrowser app and get access denied. I have tried using my iPhone as well now and the issue remains so I’m assuming this is an issue with the Catalina install which I upgraded this week.
I have tried sharing a sub folder from the drive as well as deleting and resharing the drive as well rebooting etc. and nothing related to the external drive is accessible remotely.
Does anyone have any idea why this no longer allows this remote access? The external drive is formatted as Mac OS Journaled, the same as the second internal drive on my Mac which can be accessed remotely just fine. It is only the external usb drive that is affected

hobro

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
I have this issue as well. Can't access an external hard drive on a MacMini (running Catalina) from another Mac. SMBD is not listed for Full Disk Access. If I want to add this (which I obviously should to fix that problem), what do I have to add?

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The first thing to try is to go to System Preferences->Sharing and untick “File Sharing” and then tick it again. This is supposed to grant the relevant system privileges for the smbd process (which controls Windows File Sharing).

If re-enabling File Sharing above doesn’t resolve the problem, you can add the smbd process to the Full Disk Access list.

1) Use Finder and from the ‘Go’ menu choose ‘Go to Folder’
2) Enter ‘/usr’ in the box and you should then see folders including ’sbin’
3) Highlight ’sbin’ and then from the File menu, choose ‘Add to Sidebar’. You should see sbin appear on the left.
4) Use System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Full Disk Access, and tap +
5) From the file chooser, select sbin from the left, then choose ’smbd’
6) Right-click the sbin entry in Finder and select Remove from Sidebar.

You might need to restart file sharing on the system preferences screen.

Let me know if this fixes it for you.

gordonintx

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
The first thing to try is to go to System Preferences->Sharing and untick “File Sharing” and then tick it again. This is supposed to grant the relevant system privileges for the smbd process (which controls Windows File Sharing).

If re-enabling File Sharing above doesn’t resolve the problem, you can add the smbd process to the Full Disk Access list.

3) Highlight ’sbin’ and then from the File menu, choose ‘Add to Sidebar’. You should see sbin appear on the left.

Thnak you! This still works for files shared on Ventura beta. Helped me a lot.

Reactions: Donka

2MacsJackson

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019

Thanks! Works on Monterey 12.6

Reactions: Donka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.