Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
UK
Ok I have a wifi iPad. My plan was to buy a mifi and access the net through that however I heard about this app for my iPhone called mywi.

Apparently it turns your iPhone into a wireless router. I thought it was like pdanet which allows you to do a similar thing but with pdanet you need to create an ad-hoc network, something that the iPad can not do hence pdanet will not work.

Mywi apparently allows you to turn your iPhone into a true wireless router. It broadcasts the ssid and you can set up wep encryption. I'm going to try it later and I will post my findings up on here but I was curious if anyone else had tried it out?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you searched using Mroogle? There are countless threads on this subject already, along with discussions.

palmerized

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
St Jacobs, ON, Canada
A good friend has this installed and it works great. However the app only runs on a jail broken iPhone. *I think...

I've emailed him to get the deets as I just got my iPad and want to do the same thing. Will repost once I know.

sebgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
UK
It works

Ok so I downloaded the app. Simple install and simple to use. Guess what..... It works. It appears as any other wireless network in the list and allows the wep passwords to be set up.
It's a pretty cool app. It have a free 10 day trial and after that ais 9.99.

It does require a jail broken iPhone which for me is no problem but for other peoople it may be an issue.

Please let me know if anyone has figured a way to do this without jail breaking their iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.